77 coil spring removal help

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 77miniyota, May 30, 2011.

1. 77miniyota

77miniyota Newbie

Truck:
    77' hilux
    Hey guys, I just ordered some new coil springs for my worn out front suspension. They are 3" taller also to achieve a better look I hope. Anyway I'm having trouble remove the old coils. I'm afraid that if I do the normal approach of lowering the LCA to get it out I won't be able to get the new spring in. I guess my biggest fear is putting the new spring in and how to go about it. Installation how-to or any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Seventy6Celica

Seventy6Celica Member

Truck:
    75 Hilux
    What springs are you getting that are 3" taller than the stock springs?

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Use a spring compressor to get them in

4. dudevato

dudevato Member

Truck:
    '75 20r/4spd mini camper
    Check around at your local chain store auto parts. Some of them offer free loaner tools. 'Might find something on line by searching Home Made Spring Compressors. Know what you're doing and be careful.

5. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
    i have a regular old set of spring compressors for changing out struts and stuff.and i dont think they would do any good on these tiny trucks theres no room in there for nothing .

if i had to ,if i had a problem like that ..I would go buy me a set of those el cheapo coil spring lift/lower clamps . the old JC whitney looking jobs with two bolts and brackets. high school days junker $hit. and use that as my tool. maybe put grade 8 bolts through them so you dont send one through your brain.

6. 77miniyota

77miniyota Newbie

Truck:
    77' hilux
    ok cool thanks guys. i did make a compressor so i'll have to see if i can get it to work. and to answer seventy6celicas question i had them custom made for the truck. does anyone think i should unbolt the lower control arm to get them out?

7. rink45

rink45 Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 shortbed
    i broke lower ball joint loose... but others have unbolted the lca from xmember
    u would save the ball joint unbolting from xmember... u better post some pics when your done!

8. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    take off the balljoint and swing the lower arm down, its going to be a bitch to get the larger spring in, but it should be installable with the BJ takes off. For safty i would put a ratchet strap through the new spring just to make sure if it does going boing it wont go anywhere. ive installed lifted springs in expiditions n crap like this, its scary cause of the starting angle of the control arm and the spring, but it is do-able