Stout Engine

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by mfouts, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mfouts

mfouts Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    I think i am going to put a different engine in my stout, Maybe a 22R to keep it yota and possible a 4.3 Vortec chevy motor Any thoughts??

2. goingnowherefast

goingnowherefast Enthusiast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    nice your going to keep it.Even the 22r motor is a squeeze,but if you go that way swap the trans also.

3. mfouts

mfouts Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    I plan on doin motor and tranny no matter what.. and after finding out how much breaks are for this damn thing i wanna swap the rear end and do front disc conversion.. but i dont even know where to start with that!!!!

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    my .02

the 22r is only +20hp and +30tq from the factory specs of the 3r. will occupy the same space, absolutely no squeezing involved. i got a supercharged 22r w/w58 to fit in the same space as a 18rc w/A40 (same block as a 3r) using factory motor mounts (read:bolt in).

tranny should totally be able to deal with that(its rated as a 1ton, as is the "lite" stout aka non I beam), would expect it to take up to 200hp fine before braking just like the w40,50,55,58,ect.

but thats depending on the fact that the stock column shift 4 speed is impossible to speed shift so its retarted to beat it up trying.

if your thinking of speed racing the truck at all, ditch the motor n trans and put something newer in. there is a $hit ton of room in the eng bay, the inner fenders are WAY too close to the motor and could move out.

personally im gonna go with a early tacoma 1uz w/ auto. want the truck auto so i can tow $hit and still use the column shifter. the 1uz is proven to fit in a track prepared celica with a stock hood, so it should totally fit in a layed out stout with the stock hood with maybe some oil pan issues.

ps: grab some 74-79 hilux spindles for the quick easy disc upgrade with as yet un-measured spindle drop (1-3in maybe, im working on it) for bolt on goodness.

and you can buy a ford 9" in just about any length you want with the proper bolt pattern.

5. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

i been thinking of a 2RZ/3RZ and turbo
    but lost my job :brickknock:so i dont know what i wanna do

6. JoeStout

JoeStout Member

Truck:
    67 stout 75 hilux
    I really want to one day run a supercharged 3.4 in mine. But until then i'm rocking a ford capri 2.8 v6 with a c4 transmission not going to lie pretty sweet.

-Joe

7. JoeStout

JoeStout Member

Truck:
    67 stout 75 hilux
    ShoNuff

Speak more of this disc brake swap. Like.. NOW.

Thanks,

-Joe

8. mfouts

mfouts Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    Im with joestout, i NNNEEEEEDDD to hear bout that disc brake conversion.. cuz im not interested in spending 700 just in shoes for this truck!! thanks for the motor advice too.. i do think the 22r is gonna be too tall when i do the body drop tho.. BUT, i want to keep the stock motor as long as i can, so until it dies im not gonna go nuts over it :)

Thanks!

9. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    in therory you just take the complete 75-78 hilux spindel w the disc brake and bolt it on.

should work for most any yota truck spindle but the tie rod moves to the front in 79.

the important part is the ball joint taper and diameter didnt change from 65-95 for yota trucks.

i have the parts needed to do this, but its for my wagon. might play a funny to piss off standardbyker by doing a 4lug swap on the stout with the spare parts:lol:

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I think you meant 1RZ haha

I think the 22R over the Stout's 3R difference will definitely be the fact that it will produce a broader torque range. That will probably make a great difference. Not a ****load faster like super, but definitely will have a better feel.

If you do a 1RZ, i say take plenty of pics. Maybe a 2RZ? That'll be great in the stout!

11. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Needs more 3RZ. I could care less what someone puts in their truck, just dont put a KA24 in anything ever.

But a 1UZ in a stout lol, sex.

12. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4

i did mean 1uz, but i put tacoma instead of tundra. real pipe dream is 1uz with itb's and semi style stack exhaust with flappy tips n everything

gonna try to ninja edit it now:D

13. 65StoutDude

65StoutDude Newbie

Truck:
    65 stout
    This thread has been quiet for a while but I have a question for You gurus on this subject, I plan on putting a 22re in my stout but want to keep the column shifted 4 spd, if I don't plan on racing just driving and occasionally pulling my small vintage camp trailer will the transmission hold up? The engine will be stock and I know how to go easy on the go pedal, so what do You think!!!

14. 65StoutDude

65StoutDude Newbie

Truck:
    65 stout
  15. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    i dont know if the trans will bolt up, this is something you are going to have to test on your own. i know the 4 speed trans from toyota are bullet proof so towing the trailer will depend on your brakes. the stouts were considered a half ton truck in the day so even the stock breaks will hold up to the weight of the trailer, so if you upgrade to disc it should help obviously.

you wil have to do custom engine and trans crossmembers i bet, but thats all normal for engine swaps in old old yota's

good luck.

16. powertech

powertech Enthusiast

Truck:
    1970 hilux
  17. '80yota

'80yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    '80 Sr5 Long bed
    FYI for everyone in this thread....a 20r and 5 speed from 77 truck is a easy fit. Requires very minor modification to engine mounts and same with tranny....

From a running and driving 3r and 4 spd column shift to a mounted and running 20 r and 5 speed in 6 hours (waiting on driveshaft shop to shorten mine)

Shifter is located PERFECTLY aswell.

18. yingxuy

yingxuy Newbie

I can tow per hit, still use the column shift. 1uz proved to be suitable for the track ready Celica with stock hood, so it should be entirely suitable in relation to the stock oil pan cover may be some problems laid thick.

19. RA25

RA25 Newbie

Truck:
    1966 Stout
    66 stout

I just finished putting a 66 stout body on a 92 2dw chassis. I got all the bells and whistles of a newer truck and a cool old body. I like the EFI and a 5spd. Stops great too with the disc brakes. Seems to have plenty of power for a daily driver.

Rodney

20. Subscan

Subscan Member

Truck:
    Stout 1967
    RA25 Got any pics?
    I have been thinking of this for sometime.
    Was there any cutting of the body or did it all just bolt up?
    What Model was the 92 that you used?