Got 20R in.... Now what? Open critique

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by disturbio, Feb 17, 2010.

1. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    I dont have much money to spend on this right now... Getting married in May and this is breaking the bank.

I need some advice here? What do you fellas think?

My plan of action is to:

get it lower, remove some springs, aluminum blocks, not way low, maybe 2 inch front and back.

Replace mirrors, seats, headliner, and pull toolbox out.

I need to do something with front valance/bumper

Need a cheapy wheel set, or hubs....Or paint those ones?

Lemme know what you think, More pics to come when I get started on the interior.

Here is the link.... Im not that good with computers, cant get the pix small enough to fit here.;)

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/CTMALES/HILUX/

if this doesnt work right im sorry....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    should i paint the grill? i see some of you have.... I wish I still had photoshop to mock this up

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    ill put some of the photos up for ya here. there is a resize option if you load each shot and hover over it. i usually make mine "large" as they title it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    wheels shouldnt be hard to find that will fit with a minor drop. truck looks really clean. your biggest issue with the engine swap will be fitting the exhaust. it dumps on driver side of a 20r but your stock gas tank is there. so youll have to route over to the passenger side, or between the driveline and the tank. dunno how much space you have there since i havent seen the tank on that side in person.

the front end is leading me to believe someone put a 75-78 valance on there since the grille has a gap under it the shape of the later grille. you could swap grilles, or valances. ive thought about making a mount to hold the grille halves together on a bench, and molding that seam away. for both styles. have them ready to paint. if youre interested id just need a set of cores to mod. but id have to rework a few first. ive always hated the overlap. a one piece would look cleaner.

anyways, truck looks clean. i got almost 2" pulling the center leaf on mine. i also took about 3-1/4 turns off the coil. id suggest 1-1/2 for you if you want about that much drop. but do it in half turns til you like it. and they will settle a bit and sort of grow lower over time. you may need to ditch the sway bar up front. depends how low you go. it hits the spring cup after a while, and tires may rub it. i need to modify my cup and see if i can fit it back on. but probably not gonna fit. lol.

5. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4

Somewhat in the same boat as yourself, only I just recently married. It's tough, especially with the economy the way it is.

Man, nowadays I'm grateful when she's idling nice, braking smoothly, yet firmly.... I'm happy just knowing she's not losing coolant or oil, and giving me the mpg she's suppose to be (she's not - still haven't had a chance to tune the Weber :eek:).

Hell, with the way things are (money wise) I'm just grateful I even have a HiLux!

I would focus whatever funds that are available to make sure everything is mechanically sound. Just make an honest and intelligent list of what is mechanically questionable, and plan ahead.

BTW...awesome job with the 20R. Planning the same swap in the next few weeks, so I can appreciate your accomplishment. Me jealous.:D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  6. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    I didnt put the 20R in...My mechanic friend did it for me. The truck is sitting at his shop there. New brakes,wheel cyls, new webber carb, radiator has been repaired, new hoses, all fluids changed even the diff. All the basics done minus the interior and I got some buckets to put in.

I just am not sure on the direction to go. Might get some 14'' hubs and pull some leafs since the paint and body are pretty straight.

7. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    By the way, does that say "Sears" on the bottom left-hand corner of the AC Unit, or am I just reading it wrong? What a trip..... :)

8. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    yeah sears

The old guy I got it from said that it had a "sears and robuck" A/C installed at alexander ford and toyota here in down. Dealer add-on I guess.

Blows ice cold... Better than my frontier and its 30 years older.

9. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    It adds to the character of the truck. I think it's great!

10. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i got an extra front bumper you can have if you want it. it's pretty straight, but i didn't like that the chrome was a little discolored where the bumper guards were so i bought another bumper. only down side is you'll have to make 160 mile trip east on I-8.

disturbio likes this.
  11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    newer cars use R-134, old stuff uses R-12. new stuff is better for the enviroment, but doesnt get as cold.

sounds like the truck is coming along nicely.

12. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    BUMP! Still looking for ideas, thinking about a rs/ss camaro style nose stripe, wish i still had photoshop to give it a preview! Still fishing for suggestions!!

I did get a few small things going here.....

DONE - Ditched big stock mirrors, pulled tool box, got some original hub covers.

NEXT - Gutting interior.... Putting in new carpet, New seats, and getting it cleaned up.

13. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    Pics to come soon.

14. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    did you get lugnuts too? lol

and hopefully cleaned out the bed, it looked pretty nasty

15. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    Lugs were off to do brakes/wheel cyls. pics to come. bed is still pretty ugly but cleaned out.

What is your signature pic....hard to make out.

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    its basically a negative tone shot of his rear mudflap and a chinese food box hanging from the rear valance. he was mimicking the import kids hanging stuffed animals, rope clips, and random crap off the back. it started in japan. he apparently rolls with the import kids. from kansas. let me repeat...import kids from kansas. allow them a few years to get with the times. hahaha.

sounds like its coming along pretty well. keep it up.

17. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    What do you think of the black nose stripe idea?? Camaro circa 1968 [​IMG]

18. standardbyker88

Truck:
    if you had its front edge about 1/2-3/4" forward of the grille seam, it should look pretty cool. going down the fenders. try it out with black electrical tape as the stripe to see how you like it.

19. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    thats funny you said the tape thing cause I got some radiator hose tape at auto store today for that purpose exactly.

Are you saying on the actual grill itself?

I dunno I just want it to be a little different than everyone else's.

20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    im saying have part of it on the back edge of the grille, and down its sides. and also have it be on the hood and fenders. so the line goes over the grille to hood gap. make sence?