Help me with my weekend drag racing daily

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by F87pickup, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Getting yourself a lexus gs would be a good way to get a lot of parts. The gs300 for the 2jzge or the 400 for the uz. Down here you can find decent ones for under 2k. They will be high miles though or as you would call it k's. Some of the 300 sellers are on one though thinking they have something special because of the jz. Plan on doing the timing set for whatever you get unless it's been done recently with proof. To get an idea replacing the belts, cam seals, vvti gear, crank gear, complete water pump with housing, sparkplugs and other thing set me back about 1k for for oem parts on the ge. Some of those things could of been rebuilt like the vvti gear.

F87pickup likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Hell yea! Even the Ford block. I can't remember off the top of my head who makes the adapter plates for the W5x transmission. You end up using an auto bellhousing. IF everything in your drive line is refreshed to OEM spec you can drive it reliably with I/H/C modds.

3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Being you're in Canada keep your eyes open for Aristo's. They come with the 2jzgte. Stock internals they are good for 600hp plus. If you're end goal is more will be best to stick with the ge though. They are a little expensive but you might be able to find one for not much more then the cost of a 2jzgte. But if it's to nice it might not want to be used as a doner car. Same with the Lexus. You get a good one you might want to keep it.

4. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

Would I need anything else to get I running? or can I use all the stock accessories/parts that are on the truck?

5. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

I found a 2jzge on marketplace for 1300 cad, it’s got a wiring harness and ecu, what should I be looking for, should I jump on it?

6. F87pickup

F87pickup Newbie

Does anyone have anymo
    do you know what’s needed for this swap? Do I need a transmission? Thanks

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    No real reason to jump on that. That's something you can find for that price any day pretty much. A full car would be much better. You can offset cost by selling parts. If you buy right the car will pay for itself. Maybe hold off for now because the economy is going down. Lots of cars will be tanking in value. Your average cool car will become reasonably priced again in lots of cases. Already happening with S2000's and Chasers. Bubbles are bursting.

F87pickup likes this.
  8. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    After doing a little research expect your transmission to go bye bye if your running a w56 and you don't take her real easy. Or you'll be saying ops got a new neutral. Pretty much all w transmission are no good for holding much power.

9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    True, w series other then w58(steel plate) will only hold up about 350hp with a healthy transmission.

10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Tons of smokers selling them though. Getting everything for a jz is up their. You're in the price range you could look at other options with what some guys are asking.

@F87pickup one thing to know with beefy transmissions and single mass flywheels on the jz can bring out rattles. Can sound like something is seriously wrong. Almost like rod knock. Something like your r series or cd009 will do this.

11. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

To boost the 1986 Toyota pickup's 22R engine, consider upgrades like a performance cam, headers, and a high-flow exhaust. Upgrading the carburetor or switching to EFI can improve power. However, achieving significant gains may be challenging. For a rotary swap, like a 13B, it involves substantial modifications, including custom motor mounts, transmission adaptation, and extensive wiring changes. Research conversion kits, consult forums, and find experienced mechanics. Rotary swaps can be complex but offer unique performance. Weigh the costs, complexities, and potential gains carefully before committing. Ensure the chosen route aligns with your drag racing and daily driving goals.