22R - Electric Fan Conversion Help

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SupremeCling, Mar 29, 2022.

1. SupremeCling

SupremeCling Newbie

Truck:
    89 Pickup
    Hi All,

On the quest to modify, and something that seems to make the most sense right away is an electric fan. It is not a secret that these trucks do not have a ton of power and, from what I have read, converting to an electric fan could help a tiny bit with MPG and Horsepower.

I would also like to upgrade the Radiator soon, but the electric fan is the first thing to do because of the immediate benefit gained (as read) vs the cost and time committed.

I have a 1989 Toyota Pickup, 2WD, 22R, and 4 Speed Manual Gear Box

I have read several forums and posts that have decent information about 22RE Electric Fan Conversion, but not much on 22R.

I have never done this sort of work before so there is a lot unknown. Here are my primary questions:

• electric fan recommendations?
    • will I need some sort of ecu?
    • will I need some sort of thermostat?
    • will the alternator need upgraded because the fan draws more current?

I hope to hear from someone soon!

2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Fans work best with a shroud, so try to find a fan that fits in your stock shroud, or comes with one that you can make work.
    You then will need a 'controller'. Those kits usually come with a thermostatic switch, a fuse, and a relay. The thermostatic switch can be a thread in to a bung with coolant, or the type that pushes into your radiator fins. That switch triggers the relay to turn your fans on and off at specific temperatures.
    I ran dual fans for a while without an upgraded alternator, so you may be fine.
    There are probably kits made specifically for your truck's engine and radiator setup that are fairly plug and play.

SupremeCling likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    You need to worry about what fan you can fit and if it will be push or pull. Pull is way better. Spal is the go to for aftermarket fans. You can trust the cfm ratting is not bs. Unlike the ebay super slims that claim 3000cfm. Some oem fans like ones you can find in a Ford Taurus are really good. Find out what you have between the radiator and water pump to let you know what you're working with. A shroud will be beneficial to pull the air through the entire area of the radiator. You will want to run a relay kit. The ones specifically for fans come with the thermal switch but will likely be 3/8ths npt. Everything that size on the 22r will be Japanese threads. You will have to tap if you want to use a port off the intake manifold because an adapter will not work on the 3/8ths ports. If you have the half inch port blocked you can adapt to that and it is npt if I remember right. Otherwise you can do an inline hose fitting that you would cut your top radiator hose and put in place. An alternator upgrade would be good because it is a pretty large load. Gm conversions are one of the best. Tons of options.

SupremeCling likes this.
  4. SupremeCling

SupremeCling Newbie

Truck:
    89 Pickup
    @Justin Danger & @Pearce

Wow 2 responses so fast!

Alright I have a lot to look into. The "pull through" is a great tip too!

Do either of you think I should buy the radiator with the fan?

I'll post.what I'm finding asap!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    If you find a complete kit with rad, do it! As long as it has the mentioned parts to work out of the box. Upgrading the alternator will cover you on this project, but will also put you ahead of the curve when it comes to ignition, once you upgrade that, or any electrical upgrades such as stereos/radios lighting, etc. @Pearce is right on the GM conversion. Simple one wire, higher output alt. If you don't go with the aftermarket kits, putting together your own kit from other OEM part and Amazon relay kits can be a cheaper/more reliable option. Researching your parts will net you the best results. Have fun with it.

SupremeCling likes this.
  6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Spal fan, Champion radiator the way to go!

SupremeCling likes this.
  7. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    +1 on the spal!

SupremeCling likes this.
  8. SupremeCling

SupremeCling Newbie

Truck:
    89 Pickup
    Truth be told, I want to keep everything as Japanese as possible

9. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I ran a Davies Craig electric water pump and controller in my MR2. the controller ran the pump and fans. The draw on the alternator with the pump and fan are nowhere near what the pump and fan would be on a 22R. Never have to worry about the thermostat, the controller and pump handled flow quite well.

Make sure the air is flowing to the back of the vehicle, I've had a few people bring me their cars with this backwards. If the flow is backwards you WILL over heat on the freeway as the fan will prevent air flow through the radiator. Bonehead whoopsie but easy to get wrong.

SupremeCling likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Im not coming up with any Japanese aftermarket fan companies I can think of. Best to just go with the best. One thing with Japanese parts is you get Japanese literature. I just picked up some parts and the only stuff in English is the warnings and technical specs. Got to follow the step by step in Japanese. Lmao

SupremeCling likes this.
  11. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Chances are the "Japanese" direction are in Chinese anyway.

Erwin Merida and SupremeCling like this.
  12. Hagan Quinto

Hagan Quinto Newbie

Truck:
    1993 Pickup 2wd 22RE
    I have a 1993 Pickup 2wd (JT4RN81) and I am currently looking at the SPAL-IX-30102113. Anyone running this fan? If so, how well does it cool the engine, and would I need to make custom brackets for mounting this?

13. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It has plenty of flow. Going to want to check your distance between the rad and engine. A shroud will be the best way of mounting it. Expect that to take up another inch or so.

Hagan Quinto likes this.
  14. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I have been running aluminum radiator for a very long time,had a very expensive Griffin had leaked twice so went to a Champion . I run a Spail 16'' curved blade, puller fan, no shroud, fan mounts directly to the radiator.
    I use a Centech fan controller & wired in a over ride so can turn on when I want ( in traffic & when coming off the freeway).
    The controller you can set to come on at any temp you want! Radiator work-4.jpg Fan controller-2.jpg

Hagan Quinto and Erwin Merida like this.
  15. Hagan Quinto

Hagan Quinto Newbie

Truck:
    1993 Pickup 2wd 22RE
    Are you running an upgraded alternator for all of this?

16. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Yes I run a GM12SI alternator from Quality Power, it is billet cased, & you can get a plug that goes right into the Toyota one. This is a 150 amp out put with 100 at idle The part number is #10150A ,the plug is GM 12SI alernator.jpg #1223
    The stock alternator should run the fan with no problem . I have two stereo amps, two air pumps & an air controller.
    I also run a Odyssey PC1500 battery.
    You may have too modify the stock alternator bracket to line up the pulleys , I did have too ,wasn't hand to do.

Hagan Quinto likes this.
  17. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Yeah, the stock alternator should be good to handle the fan with all else in the car. The battery is there to power everything any way. Even if you have a bunch of other things going the battery should be able to handle it since most power accessories are temporary on items. Unless you're driving in L.A. rush hour traffic that fan will cycle off at least 50% of the time.

I only found it necessary for an upgrade after I installed my audio system in my Celica, needed to upgrade the alternator after I went nuts on the system. That was in the '90s and 1000w in the car was pretty good. Even then only needed the extra output when I was showing off.

Hagan Quinto likes this.
  18. terry r cosner

terry r cosner Newbie

Truck:
    june of 1986.. .. so ... an eighty seven.. long box.. maroon maybe once.. two wheel drivestandard tr
    with my overheating issues .. hmm.. good info folks . thanks for having this available

Hagan Quinto and TRUCK ACTION like this.