My '92 2wd 347 Swapped Track Truck - Build Thread

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Erik Beeman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

I’m also doing an 8.8 swap in my 94 Toyota pickup. Stock 22 re. Does the axle have to be shortened? The driveshaft is off to the right a bit but seems to be working fine. I haven’t drivin it yet. Im still working on my 4 link. I’ve read some guys shorten and some leave it stock. Do you have pics of your brake line set up for the 8.8? Nice work by the way!! Thanks

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I think he covers this in post #54. The trick being that you narrow the driver side to the length of the passenger, then purchase 2 right side axles! Neat trick if you ask me.

3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Hmmmmm... are you sure this is really a good idea? I thought axles are supposed to only be loaded in one direction, like torsion bars...

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Could very much be, in stock form. If your buying aftermarket tho it might depend on brand. I'm sure OP/someone will chime in with xperience to the topic.

5. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    The stock 8.8 does not have to be shortened to fit, but if not, it does create some other things to deal with. The center pumpkin on the 8.8 if offset to the passenger side. If you're running a stock fuel tank, the right hand side of the pumpkin may come into contact with the tank. How you deal with that can be up to you, either by fuel cell or something similar, or if you're a 5lb mallet kind of guy, have at it.

The other thing about keeping the factory width 8.8 is that since it's wider than the Toyota axle, if you are wanting to run the same rims, the rears will now stick out further than before. For the first few years I had the 8.8 axle, and before I narrowed it, I ended up having to run seperate rims sets up front and out back, because I needed an offset that would clear my bed without rubbing. The visual looks of different rims always bothered me.

When you do the easier job of narrowing just one side, like I did, it fixes the issue of the pumpkin being offset to the passenger side and it centers it in the vehicle. It also allows you to run the same rims as before as the final measurement is very close to the factory Toyota width. I don't have specs of measurements off the top of my head, sorry.

I don't have pics of the brake lines at the moment, but I'm happy to take some and upload them in the next few days. I fabricated my own lines from the Toyota proportioning valve to the rear calipers of the 8.8. One thing to note is that you will have to make your own lines/adapters one way or another, as neither the Toyota lines nor the 8.8 lines from whatever you pull it from will be a direct fit.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I can't speak from an engineering side of things about torsional load, although I can say that I've never heard of this being an issue. What I can speak from is first hand experience with this setup, and that I have not had any issues with axles as of yet. The 8.8 has been paired with my V8 setup for about 10 years, and the past couple of years since it's been narrowed, and I've found no issues.

7. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    We've finished the paint job and the truck is 95% back together. Just have some final touch up work to do, like install battery, engine bay wiring covers, door speakers, etc. Small, tidy-up things. We took her for her first 15 mile drive last night to start the motor break in.

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  8. Frank Nick

Frank Nick Member

So I have a 4 link setup on my truck. I bought it like that. The previous owner had set it up. Totally wrong. With airbags. Im in the process of redoing the 4 link now. Took the airbags off to run coil overs. I’ll post pics of the 4 link soon. Here’s what I did so far. That’s the 8.8. With wide wheels. Your truck is Awsome man. Very nice and clean. FADEEF68-5761-46A4-90C7-E4B1F7B173E4.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Erwin Merida likes this.