'75 Hilux 22RE Turbo project

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Smokewagon, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    The rims are an aluminum alloy. around $125 ea.
    https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/896/VisionWheel/521 Nitro?finishID=2404

On another note, I have 2 20R engines that I am not planning on using. 1 was running when pulled the other looks like it broke a valve stem above the guide. If anyone wants to come to pick them up please let me know.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn if you were closer id swing by for one of those heads. I want a spare 20R head

3. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Short update. FITech is a little hard to use. the best way I can explain it is Holley sniper is like using a windows based PC. relatively easy user interface and practical. Fitecth is like Linux powerful but, you better know what you're doing beforehand and unlike Linux there is not a whole lot of educational material out there from Fitech.
    That being said the truck runs well and I learned a LOT in the process.

jetas likes this.
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea dude a buddy of mine had the Fitech setup on his Nova and couldnt get it right, i think he ended up going to the guy who had built the car and even he couldnt get it right. Ended up going with a holley sniper set up and hasnt had a complaint since

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    You did end up getting it to work though?

I’ve considered the FiTech or Sniper kit for my Hilux and Delmont after my mechanic guy said he liked it. He scored a never installed FiTech setup for only like $400 and installed it on his not-stock 60s Nova that’s his DD. Basically said it was a simple install, it runs good and picked up a slight bit of power

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    I forgot you're the delmont guy. My brother's that he hasn't done much with besides mess up panels. Lmao Screenshot_20210323-162510_Facebook.jpg

Perkolator likes this.
  7. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I've only had experience with holley, and easy to setup and it was also 'self tuning' wich made things a lot easier since the customer wasn't savy with tuning software at the time. Gota admit tho, the FiTech TBIs look beefy asf!

8. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Yup. it works pretty well. The only other problem is that at 25lbs of boost the stock EGR port plugs on the Fitech shoot off and then the truck wants to idle at 2800 RPM.

Next up is converting it over to a R151 trans. the stock A30 is NOT happy with this much power.

Also, does anyone want to recommend a decent locker for this rear end?

9. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    What rearend do you currently have? If it is an 8" you can put a detroit locker in there.

Would love to see and hear a video!

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Should be an 8" on this truck. I have a LockRite in my 93 pickup which works great, but if I had the $ I'd definitely go for a selectable locker over an automatic locker. A detroit is the stronger of the auto lockers, but in a 2wd with hardly any weight over the axle it may be unnecessary.
    You also planning to regear this truck when you do the locker, or going to keep it stock?

11. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    It has 4:11 gears in it now. It has a decent amount of weight in the back (17 gallon fuel cell under the bed and behind the axle). I'm ok with a full time locker as I'll probably drive the truck to work a few days a week (about 7 miles a day) and that's about it.

12. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I'll see if I can get one tomorrow and post it here.

13. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    So I drove it some this weekend but my GoPro died. Like really died. I have another old one laying around in the garage somewhere. If I can get that one charged and working I'll post it here.

14. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Some more updates. R150 is out of the picture and W58 is in. at least I think its a W58... bought it off a friend who, bought it off someone else who says he got it out of an '86 22rte 2WD pickup. Might need help with that later haha.

Found an engineer that writes the efi code for one of the big 3. Sent him my data logs off of the Fitech, hopefully he can work his magic on the fine tuning. I have only heard really really good things about him so, my hopes are up.

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    W58 came in Celicas

Pearce likes this.
  16. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    After you mentioned that I had to do some digging. From what I found the factory transmission that you get with a 22ret paired to a manual is a r151.

You probably want to pull up some photos and compare to figure out what you really have.

17. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    I'll refer to your guys' expertise on 2wd transmissions. What do you think it is?

Attached Files:

18. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    From just comparing it to pics online I want to say its an r15x. The actual gear box ribs are a little more even squares on the w58 from my first look.

19. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    In my 22rte research, I do believe the r151 was the transmission they used for the manual 4x4 trucks. I don't think I remember what the RWDs had, as they were mostly automatic A340Es.

20. Smokewagon

Smokewagon Member

Truck:
    1975 Hilux RN28
    Looks like I scored big? I emailed Marlin Crawler to try to get a rebuild kit for it and they said that they don't have kits for it but could rebuild it. They suggessted that it is an early R154. I did some research online and just confirmed it based on input shaft length, bearing support, and location of the reverse switch. I pulled a few of my R151F bellhousings and those all ligned up so, I guess thats all that really matters to me anyways.