73 hilux 22r hybrid

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Pearce, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Rubed through.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Fuck now i need to go check mine. The lower hose is pretty much hugging the Alt

Pearce likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    After replacing the hose and filling it up the truck was running really rough. Play with it for a bit then decided I need new spark plugs. Put them in and it help a little then it died. Took out my ignition module. Hoping they will replace it again.

4. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Still lost. Got my pertronix system on and it runs but nothing like it was the other day. Still hunting at idle and got the tractor sound going. Sprayed it with carb cleaner got nothing. All cylinders are firing. Revs good just can't idle right.

5. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Performance distributors got back to me and again they are proving themselves with the customer service. Let them know I didn't have an invoice number just gave them my grandma's email who ordered it. They replied they can send me another one if I would like. I was expecting a little more questions but whatever that's cool. Hopefully I'll have that soon.

I have a stud welder coming tomorrow. Planning on pulling the cab corner a a few other little dents on the cab. I'll work on the bed later. Then I need to do the windshield and figure out if I have any rust to repair. Up in the air about paint. Thinking about a hvlp spray system but I would still need a booth. I literally have a mayco across the street though. Could pay the extra money for the good paint and send it it there mostly prepped and mask it myself.

6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I did the $299 Maaco special once, never again.. no door jams, single stage coat and it got sunburned off 3yrs later even while caring for the paint. Either pay for their premium service or do it yourself and enjoy the experience.

When it comes to your idle issue, that literally started right after your coolant hose went out?

Pearce likes this.
  7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    When the hose broke it would just die at idle without gas. Not going to do any 299 special. I would make sure I was getting the real auto paint. Really don't want to spend all the money on tools and stuff but my skills and booth is lacking. I do have friends with the skills but they don't like to do anything cool. They are burned out from doing it all day.

8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    That's weird. Cuz it's not like you ran the truck hot for a while in order to warp any part of the head.. I'm sure you checked your jets again. Going on limb here but maybe temp sensor damage when 220°+ coolant hit the connector?? I just came across that problem in a yj with rough idle, the coolant sensor in the back was damaged when oil streamed over it. Doubt it's air in your cooling system..

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    No computer to control idle. Only thing electronic is the ignition system.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  10. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started sanding on my other valve cover. Don't think I'm going to go for the perfect finish on this one. Even though it is the better candidate. Going to focus on all the areas you see first. Got the edge knocked down alright and went though some grits to see how I'm doing. My other cover still has the nasty seem right at the gasket. Something I'm having a problem with is all my different forms of sanding each leaves different scratches for the same grit. I have a 120 sanding sponge that can nearly polish it that's throwing me off. Also having problems polishing my oil cap. Have a few dark spots that showed up. Not sure if its something to do with the metal and impurities or stains for oils but it's bothering me I can't get them out. Probably going to call it after 50 to 100 hours with whatever I can bring it to then polish it. Anyway here's the start. 1624311685664_1400280581_3b56b037.jpg

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. rollinyotas

rollinyotas Newbie

Did you scope up that grille in the background too? I'd need that if you didn't

12. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    No I got mine off ebay before I found the guy. He probably could get you one. I pretty sure he restocks after he makes a sell.

13. rollinyotas

rollinyotas Newbie

That would be sweet, have his ebay seller name?

14. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    He's on Facebook only. PJ's shop thiland.

15. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Started the truck after a couple months. Still has a good battery. It got my threw the really hard cold start. 100 percent certain my head never sealed. Did the fume test before and it showed nothing. It will pressurize the system to fast though. Within a minute or so I can't pop the rad cap without it gushing. The water is barely warm at this point. I don't smell coolant in the exhaust but I can smell it all in the engine bay. Almost like it's pushing out a gasket caused by the high pressure and vaporizing on the engine. Almost thinking it's my timing cover holding up the head. When I first put it on I noticed my fingernail would catch. But the good homie that had built a few engines thought it was fine. I'm not to sure anymore. I plan on pulling it off this spring and milling it down and a few other things. Hopefully the blocks not pitted because of me running it like that. If that dosnt work I do have my eyes on a doa big bore hybrid. I want to start rolling the truck to the shop and do some work with it. Make some of my money back with it.

16. Spuds

Spuds Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux Longbed
    You have eBay fenders on this correct? I'm debating getting a set but the quality seems debatable. How are the body lines and overall fit with them? Similar to the stock fenders or are they pretty bad? Thanks.

17. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    They are the Taiwan made guys. My rig isn't to best to judge fitment because it did have some decent damage on the front end. Even with that being the case I think most people will have to do some decent work to get panel gaps to shrink or be creative. The body lines are pretty close or there. Your best chance with a perfect fit will be a replacement from another truck or repairing the original.

18. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I was watching this video years ago of some guy doing very impressive ghetto-fab type body work on salvaged cars where replaced parts had funky gaps. His trick for tightening up gaps was to weld a piece of solid rod to the edge and tighten things up without wasting time tinkering with adjustments or imperfect repop parts etc

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux

I remember you mentioning that before and I think that's what I will end up doing when I finally go at it.

20. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    The guy I’ve mentioned here before is Fitzee, who has a current YouTube channel that’s pretty great and shows how to make body repairs with minimal tools.
    The other guy I just mentioned I saw in a video like 10+yrs ago. Was apparently well known for making custom car bodies by hand, he’d eyeball everything and was using solid rod to make the basic new shape and then tack on sheet metal to it and cut off the excess. It was pretty cool, guy had it down for sure. Wish I knew who it was to rewatch