Looking for 72-77 front bumper

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by THorn, Aug 28, 2020.

1. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Oops. I need a front bumper. It took me ages to realize that some previous dingus had put a remote start on this manual truck, or else I'd have disconnected it long ago. I parked in gear, and the remote start button got hit accidentaly in my pocket. It lurched off and took one in the face. I know I'm going to have a merry chase ahead to find a replacement bumper. I'm cruising parts recyclers in OR and WA, but I'm not holding my breath. If anyone has possible connections or resources, I'd be appreciative. Thanks Hilux friends.

2. Zachary Neuman

Zachary Neuman Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Only 1972-1974 bumpers will fit your truck. Chassis was changed in 1975 along with the face-lift. I need one too. In almost five years I've had no luck. Depending how bad it is you might just have to try and fix it.

3. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Thanks, that’s good to know. They sure do look the same from the outside. I was actually able to use a 75 bumper, or at least the recycler who shipped it to me said it was from a 75 truck. It was freshly chromed, and not attached to the truck it was with, so maybe I got lucky? It could have been a 74 and labeled incorrectly or maybe it had been altered? I did have to do a slight adaptation to the end brackets that connect to the fenders, but the frame mounting brackets bolted right on.

Pearce likes this.
  4. Zachary Neuman

Zachary Neuman Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    My guess would be either a VERY early 1975 or an incorrectly labeled part. I still need one. Can't find one to save my life.

5. rollinyotas

rollinyotas Newbie

Any leads on front bumpers? I'm fine with extensive metal and surface restoration

THorn likes this.
  6. THorn

THorn Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    I haven’t searched in a few months, but last I looked, there was at least one around as I was checking west coast sources in the recycler database. There are always more 75+ than 72-74, but you might get lucky. More so if you’re willing to do some work to it.

There’s also an exorbitantly priced example on eBay from a seller in Greece. ?!? It’s been up there for ages.

rollinyotas likes this.
  7. Zachary Neuman

Zachary Neuman Newbie

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The later 75-78 style bumpers are somewhat easy to find as far as these trucks go. Pick and pulls and there is a seller in Thailand with NOS/Aftermarkets for sale now and again. The earlier 72-74 style is a unicorn part. I found one in Greece recently, and the seller would not ship it. If that's what you need and you can find one, more power to you.

rollinyotas likes this.
  8. rollinyotas

rollinyotas Newbie

What database are you using? I'm happy to keep scanning from time to time. Really wishing I would have kept the original when it was bent. By this point I easily could have done the metal work to repair it.