Stalling issues 1977 20r

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 77bluyota, Feb 10, 2021.

1. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    There is no correlation between the chassis ID and engine serial number. Your engine may well be the original.

77bluyota likes this.
  2. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Can't win the all. It probably would of been well known if it was a hybrid and one of the selling features. I figured if you work your way from the tank forward you'll figure it out and eliminate any possible problems that might come up in all conditions. When you pull your tank see what's up with the pump. Autoparts stores might have it. I'm pretty sure most pumps are the same style so it's just all about getting the right size and pressure range. If they don't have some decent hose clamps see if you got any custom line makers in town. A full filter right off the tank would be good then a finer one near the carb. With the intank the return is less of a concern. If it does become a problem like your getting boiling fuel you can get a fuel filter with a return to help. But it would probably be the motor boiling the fuel in the bowl. So again not as much as a concern. So just get what people are reviewing well for your regulator. Then finally check the carbs and mod if need be. If you do mod it I want to see a video of you driving up some really big hills. Lmao

77bluyota likes this.
  3. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Is there anything you can tell by the numbers on the engine?

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Not that I’ve been able to find. I even went to Japan archives. No luck. Seems there should be a cross reference somewhere. Maybe you can get more info.

5. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    1977 Toyota RN23 Shortbed
    ahhh ok, there seems to be so much mystery around these trucks. Domestic classics get all the love lol

6. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Yeah I never seen anything and figured matching numbers would be the only thing you could get from them.

7. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    Would be ideal to replace all lines while you're at it. I had a brand new tank and I used my old line for a little. The fuel in the filter was red with rust still.

8. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    yeah I did think about that. If grandiose dreams prevail I would take the cab and bed off and do a full frame cleanup and powder coat it but reality is harsh so its unlikey. BUT if that were to happen all the brake lines and fuel lines would get replaced and the rear brakes would get converted to disk as well. Again, all grandiose desires and vaguely set in reality.

9. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    It's a really short run. Pretty easy to do because you don't have a ton of bends. I got 16ft of stainless for about 20 bucks. I did mine without even lifting the truck on a rainy day.

10. 77bluyota

77bluyota Member

Truck:
    Well it would seem its fixed. As a part of other things in the works (update to be found in my "build" thread) I seemed to have resolved my downhill stalling. Long story short some tweaking of the carb along with new plugs and wires seemed to have made a difference. :) I still will be doing much of the work previously talked about in this thread but that will fall under the build thread as just part of the updates/upgrades. Thanks all!

Pearce and Ivey like this.