90's model big brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by cody22re7235, Nov 16, 2020.

1. cody22re7235

cody22re7235 Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota pickup 2wd 22re 5 speed
    im not sure if im doing this right still new to the form but I saw a video on YouTube I forget the man name but some should've saw this video but he had i belive a 1995 or slight new tacoma that he put Cadillac ats brake calibers on and evo 9 rotors im wondering if any body has done the same to early 90's and older truck so my main question is are the hub similar and and is the spindle similar and do the calibers interchange thank for any help with this also moderators if I messed up could you either message me and tell me what I did wrong or fix my mistake thank in advance

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Sounds like a great idea... That would definitely provide enough stoping power!

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    There are write ups on here about using 4 runner 4 piston calipers and bigger rotors for a inexpensive BBK.

may have to search back to like 2009-2010

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Are the calipers on a 2wd not 4-piston? They are on my 93 4wd, but maybe that’s because it’s 4wd.

The common brakes upgrade I remember is using v6 parts and/or 60-series cruiser parts - like the discs and calipers since they’re larger diameter. New braided brake lines to replace the flexible sections so they don’t bulge under pressure. Then upgrade to the bigger bore 1” master cylinder and I think the v6 dual diaphragm brake booster. You can also swap out the rear LSPV to a manual controller to tinker with f/r braking.

Rear you could swap to disc brakes, I think people use the solid axle brake parts or order one of the kits - but either way you’ll still have to weld up a mounting plate to the axle housing. You also lose your stock parking brake unless you get something that can accommodate

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  6. cody22re7235

cody22re7235 Newbie

Truck:
    So I finally got around to doing some local part store shopping research the 95 taco have a different pattern the the 1994 down pickup model but the hubs appears to be the same ill see about fabbing my own brackets up and ordering my the brake calibers and making a mock up bracket I saw the other form jetas and thank but I dont like the way the wildwood brakes are mounted and I've already have wheels that are in spec with everything they are 18x 9.5 and im still running a 1 inch spacer lol I plan to go lower but can afford to push the wheel out no more then what it is

7. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I run 4x4 Toyota 4 piston calipers & Wilwood 12.9 rotors . Got the brackets from a guy on this site
    At the rear I have 95 Caddie 48mm signal calipers w/ e brake New rear disk #1.JPG Completed one side#1.JPG & Ford Mustang 11'' rotors using a brackets I made

8. cody22re7235

cody22re7235 Newbie

Truck:
    I was driving when I type the message sorry for any headaches that I may have cause any one and looks good truck action

9. redman

redman Enthusiast

Please don't tell me your texting while your driving! :duh:

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not texting, posting. Big difference :lol:

11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Now that's what we all like to see.. trail and error, with positive results!! really like the setup especially with those rear calipers w/ e brake. 2 birds, one stone.. NICE!

12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I've been thinking about this lately, my new DD has the same brake mods as my autocross truck and it stops killer but big brakes are never a bad thing especially when I'm running 18's.

All I've done on both trucks is swap in a dual diaphragm V6 booster with 1" master, stainless braided lines and adjust the drums correctly. Both rigs stop stupidly well, especially the DD since I used the hawk performance pads meant for the autocross truck, they kick ass even though they won't a lot of brake dust.

As far as I can tell ls400 brakes will swap right onto an 84-95 2 wheel drive with only 1 hole needing to be drilled & tapped in the caliper to mount them up. That gives you a 12.4" rotor but only a single piston caliper albeit larger and more powerful than the stock parts of course.

13. Cory Ollendick

Cory Ollendick Member

Where did u get the calipers