Driveshaft hitting frame 1988 toyota pickup.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by julian Garcia, Oct 8, 2020.

1. julian Garcia

julian Garcia Newbie

Yo guys! So I just picked up my 88 yota from a family member, I have no clue how to work on these trucks so I’m trying to learn as I go! But anyway.
    While driving I noticed a crazy squealing sound coming from the truck, I looked under to notice my driveshaft is hitting the frame! The car is lowered but I’m not entirely sure of the method used to lower it, I’ve heard something about working with the torsion bars to raise the height but I just wanted to get you’re opinions on this!!
    Thanks in advance! :)

Attached Files:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Cut that crossmember. Or raise the truck back up but no one wants to do that

3. julian Garcia

julian Garcia Newbie

Do i raise it using the torsion bars? just momentarily while i get the crossmember cut after the truck is all good

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    That contact is from the rear being lowered. Just raise it on jackstands and pull the driveshaft and cut. Or pull the bed off and cut from the top

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    This has nothing to do with the torsion bars - those adjust the front.

What’s the pinion angle look like on your truck? Saw on a friends pickup that had like a 4” block, his pinion angle was pretty high and I think he’d get leaf spring wrap when accelerating- made driveshaft touch on that same spot. Believe pinion angle adjustment with angled blocks/angle shims was what was used in addition to some shaving of steel on the horse collar crossmember