What shocks do I want?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Shoosty, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

I got a 94 that must have been lowered like 10 years ago cuz the shocks are all clapped out. Going to go with the belltech leaf springs, new u bolts, tie rods, shocks all around.

Im just confused on what shocks I should get. I want air in the back as I already have it set up for that.
    My mechanic says the spindles/lower control arms look and feel fine, but is there any other parts I should be replacing that would make it safer, and feel better?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ball joints and bushings if they look or feel worn

3. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

prolly grab some just cuz im tearing it all apart, might as well replace while im down there.
    do you have any links to some front shocks and then back air shocks? im kinda confused on what to actually buy for a 3 inch ish drop.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Honestly i dont. I think shocks.com has a thing where you can search for shocks by lengths and mount type

5. Sebastian Singh

Sebastian Singh Newbie

No expert here but I got my first pickup and I'm working through these things as well.

I ordered a full front suspension replacement kit from 1AAuto which was less than $150 and replaced most of the front end components.

I went with Monroe OEM replacement shocks (>$150 in total). I compressed mine when taking off and after a week, they still haven't recovered. Needless to say, it needed it.

My use is for this to be a shop truck. Upgrading to OEM is a huge upgrade for me but I havent lowered it or anything fun. Please let us know how this goes for you.

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    MAY WANT TO REPLACE THE TIE ROD ENDS ALSO

7. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    Not a terrific answer but the one I'm gonna give you... Shocks haven't changed that much. Search the forums and see who the big players are. =)

8. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Ok boys. build is finally going down. 19 hours into it and this is what i can tell you.

-fuck DJM control arms. so many people have suggested them here but what a nightmare its been. literally asian crap parts that needed hours of stressful metal working to line up. they tried to soft talk me by saying stuff like "our robots that weld the parts mess up sometimes" or "you have to redrill the holes yourself". Like wtf!? im lucky i had access to a full shop. had to drill out every hole in the each control arm, cut and grind other bolts and this weird bolt clamp for the ball joints just to get things to fit because the shit was welded sidesways and off in pretty much every spot.

-LEAF SPRING SHACKLES! mine were totally clapped out. they are hard to get and expensive but needed.

-leaf spring bushings... orileys and auto zone/auto parts + dont have the ones you want. they are loose and suck.

-just buy the tie rod centers. it was a pain getting those apart.

-torsion bars are back in and feel good but im still confused on what i actually did.

pretty much just waiting on my leaf spring shackles, then well put in the air shocks and belltech leaf springs. im still not sure if ill need blocks on the belltech springs or not. im also afraid the leaf springs will be to long, but i think thats only a problem on the ones from the 80s. they say they are are a 3 inch drop on the leafs but i suspect ill be raked out. its been a ruff few days of yelling at the truck. but things are starting to look complete. ill post pictures of the fucked up DJM control arms and the build before and after in a few days when my shakles get here and we complete it.

if the build feels better and i get the results i was told i would get from the control arms, or they refund me, ill change my post here. but as of now im pretty unhappy with DJM.

9. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

new update. its on the ground. did a trailer park alignment and it feels kinda bad. still need to actually put air in the back shocks. but feels good other than that.

It is deff raked out. maybe 1-2 inches in the back. i figured the 3 inch drop DJM control arms matched with 3 inch drop belltech leafs, it would match up. any suggestions on what i should do about the rake? if you see my truck in my profile picture, its the same in the front but def higher in the back.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    How was is lowered previously? And how did you tighten the leafs and shackles? In the air or on the ground?

every truck naturally has a rake to it. Thats why most drops are uneven amount but more drop in the back to even it out.
    2/3, 3/4, 4/6, 5/7, 5/7 and on.

11. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

tightened everything with impact driver while it was on a lift. yes it was lowered before, with drop spindles and single leaf/blocks in the back.

12. Shoosty

Shoosty Newbie

Heres a bad picture

Attached Files:

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Loosen the leafs and shackles set it down and then tighten by hand.

you may have to put the blocks back in to get it down where you want it. Hopefully the shocks dont bottom out before the axle does

Erwin Merida likes this.