My '78 "Pickup"

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Dan McBoost, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    This fabric was an old blanket covering the torn up seat while in New Mexico (that sun does some damage), thus being from before 1991 when then truck made its trip to NY. It was faded almost white, but when I flipped it looked new. Trying to find another would be impossible as it was definitely "home made/local made" back then.

I'm OK with the door panels being black and matching the new carpet as is. Maybe when this one wears out I can explore other navajo blankets to customize the door panels too. I used to install custom stereos, making door panels, enclosures and such back in the day, so that could definitely be a fun possibility for v2.0 :D

2. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Well a horrible north east spring with tons of rain pushed all of my home projects into summer and I have one more clean up to do from a new dropped tree. I did make some garage progress and have A/C in there finally. I expect to work on this again next weekend FINALLY.

Clay and jetas like this.
  3. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Baby steps. At least the stage 1 interior is complete.

[​IMG]

I did decide to install a large audio system in this next year. I will need to source or make a hard tonneau cover.

Toyotashack and RN23CB like this.
  4. Henry

Henry Enthusiast

Love the progress you've made on this truck. Can't to see it completed.

Dan McBoost likes this.
  5. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    It has been slow going, but life sure can get in the way, but thanks, I feel the same way! haha

6. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    man oh man, i have only had time to start plugging in everything from the 22RE engine for making sure this runs as good BEFORE I trim the wiring harness down for the final installation. With a 4 day weekend, yesterday was all thanksgiving (happy thanksgiving everyone) stuff, today i had to go into work to get something done before Monday (just a few hours, but it screwed up the day), I have a photoshoot in the middle of the day and Sunday lots of family stuff. i hope i can squeeze in a few hours tomorrow...

7. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Any leads on a hard tonneau cover?

8. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Looking forward to seeing your hard tonneau cover if you decide to make one. I need to make one for my truck and would be interested to see yours. Do you have any thoughts on it now?

9. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I may go with a few slats of wood, a bit longer than the width of the top of the bed, then wrap it TIGHT with canvas, then resin it, repeat, and repeat. Then paint it black and make up some oil based rope over it to look like thats what holding it on.

10. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Finally dig back into this a couple of weeks ago! I found the clutch safety switch plug and bypassed it, then finally tried starting it and had a fuel leak. took things apart to find the issue:
    [​IMG]

Then ordered the injector rebuild kids from LC and waited (for them to arrive). They came in last Friday and spent any free time over the weekend installing them and troubleshooting the no start issue. I did get it to run on Monday. I had the timing dead on, but it would not start until I retarded the timing a bunch, so I need to find out whats up. Also it runs ... for 3-10 seconds so far. I will check the COR and such to see whats up this weekend.

Progress, finally.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  11. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Have you checked with Snugtop? I also want to say Leer makes one for gmc that fits, can't remember correctly if it's for the short s10

Dan McBoost likes this.
  12. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    A vacuum leak was causing the stall. I knew about it, but didn't think that would cause a 3-10 stalling. Anyway, it runs great. Next up finishing the firewall coolant connections, then pull the bed to get at the gas tank for the pump swap.

hiluxcrux, Clay and jetas like this.
  13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Glad you figured it out

Dan McBoost likes this.
  14. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Thanks! I plan to get the coolant lines done tomorrow and may start pulling the bed. I need the space in the garage to bring something fun to drive back from my other garage.

15. 1982

1982 Newbie

Truck:
    1982 2WD manual 22R
    Dan McBoost likes this.
  16. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I have been working on cleaning up the wiring I do not need from the OEM RN70 harness. It is almost ready to re-loom and relocate. I just need to find out why the RN70 check engine light stopped working (when key on and such). It starts fine, but I am a bit stuck.

17. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Figured it out with the big book, I was just missing the power supply to the lamp.

I did get the dash harness separated and dropped the right and left side harnesses into the cabin. I also mounted fuse panel to near where the battery goes. Look me up on IG or Facebook for up to date videos of progress and such.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I am back at it. I know its been forever but I own too many project cars, lol.

I did get the rear heater core connections done and sorted out everything (wiring, hoses, etc) on the firewall. I now plan on leaving the factory wiring in the original firewall holes and will do wiring bulkheads on each side for the 22RE wiring with new holes. The bulkheads will be handy for when I swap to megasquirt ECU once I turbo this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
  20. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    More progress! Hell yeah brother!

Wire harness complete. Installing it, adding coolant, and tossing the alternator belt on tomorrow. Then it's time to pull the bed to install the 5th gen fuel tank in and run the lines. We are getting close

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvTbB4Hg0G0