1967 Stout

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by shawny2005, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

7BC8CF8E-E012-4DA1-97CB-A2AFCFE46277.jpeg just picked this up the other day. Pretty excited :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    hSelid22 likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Damn its looks good! Welcome to TM

shawny2005 likes this.
  3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Welcome aboard.
    Clean truck.:cool:

shawny2005 likes this.
  4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Nice truck, I'm jealous :applause:

From somewhere on CA Coast? If so I guess that guy finally did sell it, he was back and forth debatind selling for like a whole year, lol

shawny2005 likes this.
  5. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Yup up near SF. He didn’t want to let it go, but families :)

KS.ID likes this.
  6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Nice score then. I wanted that truck soo bad but timing for me was bad as we were about to buy a house when I first started talking with him...and of course my wife didn't approve. Glad to hear you will be enjoying it!

7. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    That's awesome! Are you in Northern Cal?

8. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Yea in Oakland

9. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Awesome! Me too! Hopefully we can get together some day and unite some old trucks.

shawny2005 likes this.
  10. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

That would be awesome! We should meet up!

KS.ID likes this.
  11. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Quick Update

So I named her "Sally" the other week. Just seemed to fit. She is running pretty good, but certainly needs work. Driving her everyday down to the BART station (about 2 miles) I'm a little nervous as it's pretty shady spot, but so far she has been fine. The doors don't lock, so it's a grab and go situation, which sucks cause I need tools incase she breaks down. I've been reading a lot of books trying to learn more about engines and especially this one. As a rather newb mechanic, I'm going slow.

I bought some spark plugs and wires to see if that helps her run a little better. I also mixed in some SeaFoam to see if that helps. (not sure yet) I'm also need to get a timing light. Still takes a squirt of starter spray to get her running in the morning. I hope I'm not screwing more shit up doing that. The carb is super janky. Half the shit isn't plugged in and a lot of it moves when I touch it and has a fucking clamp over the whole thing. Going to need a serious sit-down with that soon. I'll leave with a few pics of the engine as I haven't shown that before.

I'm pretty sure this is a pretty bone stock setup.
    IMG_4113.jpg

Last owner replaced the generator with an alternator as he said that thing was a POS. Been good so far.
    IMG_4115.jpg

KS.ID and BeardNomad like this.
  12. BeardNomad

BeardNomad Newbie

I'm sure most if not all your issues come from that carb.

shawny2005 likes this.
  13. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Agreed. it certainly needs some loving.

14. joe

joe Member

nice ride

shawny2005 likes this.
  15. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Finally got some free time yesterday. I ended up installing the wires and spark plugs after a few trips to amazon and auto zone.

I also have a leaky breakline. I noticed the other day that the brake fluid reservoir was slowly getting lower and lower. I have been looking for leaks every time I move the truck but hadn't seen any. I noticed that this is probably due to how little it's leaking and most of it is captured by the rims. I'm keeping an eye on it, and will likely be the next thing I have to do. I can't quite tell where it's leaking from, so more investigation needed.

IMG_0585.jpg

With the new plugs things seem to be a bit better. Idle seems higher, little more performant, but may just be psychology. Here are the old plugs. Not sure how long they were in there, in picture from left to right (cyl4,3,2,1)
    4 seems to have visible oil on the threads and the others are pretty clean.

IMG_9508.jpg

16. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Getting up the nerve to replace all the drum brakes. I think they are fucked. I don't have any tools, so that will be the first purchases. Been watching videos on replacing drum brakes. My e-brake doesn't work either, so that needs to get fixed...

17. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Good luck. What are you swapping them with? (assuming you're doing a disc swap, not just a R/R of drums)

18. shawny2005

shawny2005 Member

Well I am finally getting around to it, a year later... Living in the bay area isn't conductive to hobbies like this. Today, I finally got some basic tools. Got the tire off and managed to watch enough youtube videos to figure out WTF I was doing. The truck has been sitting for a while as I haven't been driving it due to shitty brakes.

I'm not sure what it is, but I think there is brake fluid all over everything. It's a fucking mess. I will attach a few photos. I'm either going to buy some new ones or try the "boil in water trick" that I read about online. I also started cleaning the fuck out of everything cause there is 50 years of gunk in there. I did fuck up and I wanted to make sure the brakes were working, so I pumped them a few times, but I pumped it way to much and I can't get the brake drum back on. I need to replace all the brake fluid anyways so will start with this one I guess. Last time I drove it, the back right brake was locking up at any bit of pressure on the break. So looking forward to seeing the difference between each brake.

(holy shit this forum can't handle more than a 2MB photo!?!?!?)

IMG_5802 copy.jpg

IMG_3784 copy 2.jpg

19. Pearce

Pearce Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1973 hilux
    If you haven't tackled it yet I'll tell you from my experience it wasn't as daunting after I got into it. The front is simply. I haven't worked on rear. Looks to be the same as an early hilux. The only real problem I ran into was the banjo bolt was needed to changed for the new cylinders.

Oh and the retainer spring clip can be trouble if you dont have the right tool or know the trick. I used needle nose pliers to grip the side of the clip so I could push the spring and twist.

20. lopez286

lopez286 Member

Nice truck