LS swap 73 Hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 321jeffro, Mar 2, 2016.

1. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

Ok so my truck has an 18rc that is the original motor. It gets around no problem very smothe actually but Of course me as the person I am I like going fast. So a buddy of mine has a 5.7 ls he wants to sell me. Getting to the point has anyone seen or had experience fitting one of these in this little truck?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I thought about it and researched the wiring and everything. Seems like a somewhat simple swap if you know your way around. Lol. Biggest problem youll probably have is frame with up front. If you can afford it, jump on it and start a build thread.

I guarantee itl open the door for more guys to do this swap

3. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Oh man that's my pipe dream swap! Do it!

4. mrhanky

mrhanky Member

Truck:
    1978 Sr5 (RN23)
    Nice! That's my long term goal. LS swap and a 6 speed Manuel. Go for it, then I can just copy your build haha.

5. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

For sure I'll have lots of pics. I've seen a guy do a stand alone wire harness that I'ma probably go with. The only thing is the motor mounts wether or not I have to fab them or I can just order.

6. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

the 6 speed was exactly what I was thinking a local guy has a t56 that would fit nicely.

7. mrhanky

mrhanky Member

Truck:
    1978 Sr5 (RN23)
    I have heard some guys with this swap in full size truck and hot rod cars reporting 25mpg or so. Mpg should be stupid good in something as small and light as a hilux, and performance (even stock LS) should be amazing.
    I know dirty dingo makes mounts for about anything LS, even a "universal" mount set.

As far as the harness check out "Agearhead4life" on YouTube. He does a lot with LS motors and has a video of how to turn a stock LS harness into a low budget "stand alone harness".

8. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

Awesome thank you for your help this will be a budget build for sure seeing as I only payed 2500 I want to keep it low cost as possible

9. mrhanky

mrhanky Member

Truck:
    1978 Sr5 (RN23)
    Same deal with mine. I look forward to the updates.

10. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

for sure going to be updating hopefully soon Ive been in lack of any spare time lately you guys will be the first to know though

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Might be the same person mentioned above that i saw post a video on youtube, they used the oem LS harness and basically made it a 4-5 wire hook up. Ground, 12v, acc, ign, start

12. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

I've just watched a couple different ones so it looks like the wiring is not going to be to hard to do. I have to swap the rear axle for a 8.8 rear end the stock rear end would probably explode lol so I'ma start with that first then figure a way to mount that thing. I'm thinking universal mounts will almost deffinetly be used

13. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

Or do you think that I could just change to solid upgraded gears and It could handle the power probably 300hp or so ? Need to look into that I like making shit work but if I can avoid the swap I would like to.

14. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    And if you want bare minimum, holley (maybe others) are making ls carb intakes

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Carb intake is like $600 plus you still have to run the electronics to control spark. Better off using the EFI since the hard work of figuring out the stock wiring has been done by many others

16. mrhanky

mrhanky Member

Truck:
    1978 Sr5 (RN23)
    I never have understood why some people go through the effort of a LS swap only to swap a carb onto it. For me that kind of defeats my purposes in the swap. It does away with the effiecenty and dependability and turns it into an old School setup. Why LS swap, wouldn't a old sbc yield same result for cheaper price if a carb is the route you wanted?

That and the LS swap completely stock if done right will start and run just as it did in its 2000ish vehicle it came from which is a lot more reliable than any carb setup, especially when it is cold out side.

jetas likes this.
  17. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Don't get your panties in a bunch, I simply said it as an option.. :waytogo:

Personally I wouldn't either, but then again I'm not a huge chevy fan as it's the go to for everybody and their brother.. it takes out the originality

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    350 SBC with a 100 shot of nitrous would be sweet. 400 is easy to achieve but an extra 100 on tap is even nicer lol

19. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    The SBC is nice but it's so heavy compared tot he 18rc or 20r. I guess the idea behind a carb'd LS is you get the all aluminum engine which only adds like 100lbs over the front axle (a ton that kinda screws up your suspension geometry, but powaaahhhh), and it's as simple as an SBC. That said, a simply wired LS is as simple as an SBC practically, and lighter with more power stock so it's just so much better.

20. 321jeffro

321jeffro Newbie

EFI all the way it has many things I like over the carb. One being the highth I think with a carb and air filter, I would most definitely have to cut into the hood or change it some how.