1975 pickup electronic dist. upgrade

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by lownloud, Jan 1, 2013.

1. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Hey all, just thought Ide share my 2 cents on my recent upgrade to my pickup. FYI truck is an early 1975 toyota longbed pickup, 4 speed, 20r. Truck used to have old ( stock ) points style distributer with early ignitor box. The original system with this truck was far from perfect. After years of changing points, messing with wiring and such, I decided to upgrade. I didnt want to just install a aftermarket kit for the distributer, I wanted new, and painless. soo. . .

I emailed Rick @ Toyhead Auto Restoration Services and asked his opinion. . . I ended up going with a very good condition 22r Distributor from an 81 toyota 4 x 4. I then went to this page Toyota truck parts list and ordered the http://www.toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/PerPics/MSD6A.jpg and http://www.toyheadauto.com/PerformancePages/PerPics/MSDBlaster2coil.jpg and then followed the very easy instructions for install that came with the package I received. Long story short, truck runs awesome, first time, no problems. More to come as soon as its above 20 degs outside :jawdrop:

Now I know that there are far cheaper, more stockish looking ways, and quite a few other tricks you can do to accomplish a similar upgrade. This upgrade was done with brand new or very good condition parts to accomplish an almost worry free install without worrying about more parts that'll disappear soon enough. . .

:waytogo: Rick's expertise and knowledge from Toyhead Auto Restoration Services was very helpfull in choosing the right parts. Go check out what he has, I know I'll shop more with him in the days forward . . .

2. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Toyhead auto is pretty pricey IMO, I junkyard upgraded my points using 80-85 toyota electrics.

3. will

will Newbie

i used the guts from a 2/3TC dizzy and 2 wire ignitor/coil when i converted my 1st gen celica 18RC quite a few years ago now. took less then an hour. cured the hard cold starting. gained several miles per gallon. the 20R dizzy takes later 20R parts, another easy upgrade. just remember to change the coil with the ignitor. points coils have a slower rise time.

4. Spacemonkee23

Spacemonkee23 Newbie

I am interested in doing this and I'm new to yoda's can you elaborate on what parts you used? 2/3TC? what year was the donor dizzy from? Thanks.