84-88 Pickup and 4Runner SR5 Gauge Cluster swap write up by SD Yota

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by SD YOTA, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    This write up will consist of how to swap out your basic non-SR5 gauge cluster for the better equipped SR5 Gauge cluster. Difference between the two clusters will be the addition of a voltage, oil pressure, and of course the tachometer to your cluster.

You will need the following in order to complete this swap.

- 1 oil pressure switch from any auto parts store. specifically, the "gauge" type.
    - 1 spade connector
    - wire splicers/crimpers
    - ~16 gauge wire of your choice color.

Before you install the cluster, you will need to swap out the old oil pressure sending unit. Failure to do so is rumored to blow your oil pressure gauge. Not sure how exactly but better safe than sorry.

Locate your pressure switch directly underneath the oil filter.

[​IMG]

Disconnect the connector pluged into the sending unit by pulling back away from it firmly. The plug on my 86 did not need to be changed in order to plug into the new sending unit, (some may vary). You will need a 14mm open end wrench and access the base of the sending unit from under the truck. remove and swap the new pressure gauge sending unit in. Reconnect the plug into the sending unit.

Since you are under the hood already, you will need to prerun a wire from the ignition coil tach plug into the cab. I used the same grommet hole the hood cable runs through. Use a spade connector and tap into the plug. If your ignition coil does not have this plug, you may use a round eye connector and connect the wire lead onto the negative terminal end of the coil. Run your wire through and you are done here.

[​IMG]

Here is your basic cluster and average auto meter monster tach that you tend to use 4000 or so of the rediculous 9 or 10k rpm range :looney:
    [​IMG]

You will need is a good assortment of phillips screw drivers to undo the 5 screws retaining the top cluster dash in place.

Once you remove the top cluster cover, there will be 4 screws holding the cluster in place highlighted with red arrows below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    ToyotaDude likes this.
  2. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    Next step will save you some anguish and a tetnis shot should you have hands any bigger than that of a 2 year old kid.....

Disconnect the speedo cable from the 2 cable retainers under the hood against the firewall. Circled in red below.

[​IMG]

This will allow to get some slack to pull the cluster back far enough away from the windshield area so you can disconnect the speedo cable.

[​IMG]

After removing the speedo cable, removing the 3 electrical connectors from the back of the cluster will be easier. Remove them and take out the old cluster.

Once the connectors are removed, locate the furthest connector to your left (closest to the door). Flip the connectoraway from you and locate the pin plug highlighted in red. This will be where you run the 1 wire coming from the ignitor coil to this plug. Strip about 1 inch off the end of the wire, then bend the strands in half and poke through. Use a 1/2 inch strip of wire to wedge the wire in place under the place the main wire is run through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once this step is done, you will want to check your cluster to make sure everything works before you reinstall everything and find out there is an issue.

Reinsert all connectors back into the SR5 cluster, reconnect the speedo cable to the back of the cluster and gently shove it back into place. Screw all retaining screws back into place and you are done!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. yankeetaco72

yankeetaco72 Veteran

Truck:
    82 short /97 Tacoma
    Cluster

SD Yota a very nice detailed write up... Always a pleasure to see your work on this site!

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Truley a nice writeup to add to this section! Great info & Nice work!

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    thanks guys! much appreciated :D

6. Asha'man

Asha'man Member

Truck:
    '85 Xtracab 2wd, '86 4Runner
    Nice writeup, man. I'm picking up an SR5 cluster tomorrow so it'll come in handy. :D

7. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    great writeup!

8. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    awesome! thanks for the kind gestures guys. glad i could be of help here. :D

9. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    alot of trucks/4runners are prewired for the tach just to let everyone know

10. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

That was going to be my next question, obviously he already had an aftermarket tach wired up but you're saying some or all of these trucks might already be wired for a tach?

So for this mod you find the cluster out of a SR5 truck or 4-Runner?

And I agree with everyone else, very nicely done on the write-ups. Most of us forget to take pics, circle important things or even write the little details that make a job like this easier - thank you.

11. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yes, some were pre-wired but thats quickly sorted out when you notice the plug on the cluster side has no wire lead to it. at that point you'll need to run it on your own.

12. SUNSETJOE

SUNSETJOE Enthusiast

Truck:
    81 SR5 longbed
    Outstanding write up. Now I need to find me a cluster!!! SD YOTA, you know where I can score one?

13. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i have one out of a v6 auto truck but not sure it'll work......... otherwise i'd offer it to you :doah:

ill keep an eye out at my buddy's yard and see if i cant get you hooked up. :waytogo:

14. doorslammer

doorslammer Member

Truck:
    95 trayback
    can you use the cluster from a deisel?

15. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Nice write up!:waytogo:

Gotta track one of these down too. Want to ditch the cheap autometer tach I installed, mostly because my hand blocks it. I could also used oil PSI and a trip meter... battery, I don't care too much. yet.

16. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Great write up! I came across an SR5 at the PickNPull this week and will be doing the install tomorrow!

17. wheels

wheels Newbie

Truck:
    88 YN57 (2wd single cab 3y)
    fuel gauge question

:clapping: Brilliant writeup! I discovered this when I was looking on the web about doing a gauge cluster swap. I now have the same gauge cluster out of a Japanese Import Surf ready to go in. (Even convinced the wrecker to give me the sender for the oil pressure gauge:waytogo:)

My only concern now is the difference in the way the two fuel gauges work.
    The original one only works when the key is on, but the one in the surf cluster shows the fuel level even when the key is off. Does this require any changes to the fuel sender wiring?

Thanks in advance

Wheels

18. joeyota653

joeyota653 Enthusiast

good question!!!
    going to try ans put mine in like tomorrow....hopefully wire up a shift light to it too!

19. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    some off the pix dont work sd any luck with getting them back up

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. CALITOY

CALITOY Member

Truck:
    1986 pick up

x-2