Z'ing a frame?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by ChickenTaco, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    I have been trolling all over this site for ideas and advice on my 90 toyota build, but something that I still can't seem to understand is Z'ing a frame. I know what it looks like and what it is, but I can't understand how you can chop the frame at the front of the cab and lower it down? Doesn't that screw up the geometry of the rear end? And what about the body lines? It seams like it would screw everything up, but everyone talks about it like it is fairly easy. :shrug:

2. jeremystephens

jeremystephens Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 xcab
    im sure theres several how-to's around to look at for reference, but to answer your question it does nothing to the geometry in any aspect really... All your doing is raising the front suspension so the frame is allowed to lay lower and even... The only thing it will change really is it will take only a little bit more to un-tuck the wheels to clear the fenders.. I know people say you dont have to but I saw pull the motor to do so, It really makes things easier and allows you to get everything looking good and clean in the process

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    you basically are chopping right after the radiator before the control arms, and right after the control arms before the firewall and sliding it upward. the mounting points for the body stay the same to each other, just the front suspension and motor is moved upwards ( well sometimes the motor stays still too depending on the build )

thats it, in a very basic form.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    damn you beat me to it

4. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    The only part of the body that is effected is the front radiator support. And when you z the frame you also have to z the very front of your frame so the radiator support mounts get moved down back to the original height. And it does raise the motor so you have to drop the motor mounts or make sure that the pinion angle and driveshaft are all aligned correctly.

5. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    I've been looking around at tons of builds and still don't quite get it. I've looked for more pictures but still can't seem to find many. What I would REALLY like is to chop the back half off and build custom frame rails from fire wall back. But with everything else to consider, intimidating is definetly the word to use.

6. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    well you should really do from the control arms back that way you can z the frame and do he rails at the same time. But thats depending on your build. bust out a tape measure and figure out if it needs a z or not. ( if its a yota you are thinking about you will need to z the front to lay 18+ on rockers )

7. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    When you say 18 plus you mean wheels correct? Another question I have is do I need to put some sort of bushings in between the body and frame? I want to lay rockers.

8. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    The reason I ask is because I will be attempting a stock floor bd. I'm not a fan of traditional because I'm 6'2" and hitting the cieling isn't fun for me lol

9. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    you can use the factory bushings on the body mounts. don't eliminate them.

a "z" is fairly simple if you're knowledgeable about welding/fabbing.

all the 3/4 frames i've built incorporate the z when the rails are mated to the stock front clip.

10. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    I'm an excelent welder, working on the fabrication side.
    What is a 3/4 frame?

11. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    a 3/4 frame is custom from firewall back.

also the rim size really isn't important when figuring out what will lay (unless its a 22" rim lol), the best thing to use is the actual tire dimensions. you do want to keep in mind the offset of the wheel though.

12. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    I really WANT 20's, but realisticly I'm looking at 18's. I don't have the capability to run my clutch and brake system a different way. I would rather settle with some 18's.

13. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    here is a thread that we built a 3/4 frame

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/build-up-project-threads-21/80-pickup-project-6299/index5.html

here is a pic, if you look closely where the stock frame and the new frame meet, the stock frame sits about 1.25" higher then the tube. that is where the "z" got tied into the new frame. then just fish plate the joint and you're set.

[​IMG]

also the front of the frame near radiator still needs to be lowered the same amount as the z. it hasn't been done on this frame yet.

14. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    And the same amounT as the body drop. I'm 6'4" an had a reg cab Mazda traditional 3.5" fit fine never hit my head or came cclose.

15. bodybagged

bodybagged Enthusiast

Truck:
    toyota clipped datsun
    honestly if you plan to run an 18 with a healthy tire you could run a 20 with super low profile tires maybe not something you wanna daily but isnt much difference and can be done.

16. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    Everything I have read about 20's says that you have to do some major fab work to fit them?

17. jeremystephens

Truck:
    94 xcab
    if your an automatic 20's arent as bad as a standard, dont get me wrong its still work but what aint when customizing... I also know some guys that channeled they're trucks so thats always an option as another way to bd it

18. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    Well it will all depend on what motor I will be using. That I'm not sure of yet. It has no motor in it but it comes with a suposedly original straight 6? Is this normal?! I might rebuild that one, needs new bearings. But I know little about toyota motors.

19. jeremystephens

Truck:
    94 xcab
    if your talking about a 90's model the v6's are no where near as good as the 22re's... In my opinion the best motors toyota did was all 22 and 22re's and the 1uz's but of course that's just my opinion

20. ChickenTaco

ChickenTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    1987 long bed
    No it's not a v6. It is a straight 6. He says it is what came out of it. I've never seen that before but the proof is sitting there Lol