you guys im sorry...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by IronNam, Jan 2, 2009.

1. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i knew i shouldve told u guys before hand...

i wanna apologize for not telling u guys i removed my bed! =]

i took pics but once i access a computer, ill show you what it looks like! i got every thing in the garage. bought 100zipties, sandpaper, and wire brush wheels. im working on derusting the frame, i bought this rubberized undercoat spray too. ill keep in contact! btw i can do burnouts now!

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    why lol, sometime you confuse me. whats the zipties for ?

3. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lol for tail lights and plate. bed will be off for a while til i finish derusting and coating the frame rails and bed too. i might replace shocks and maybe remove a leaf. diff oil change is in mind too. i need a corded pwr drill so wire brush wheel'ing can be done quicker

4. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    do yourself a favor and buy a standard 4-5 inch angle grinder, and some sanding disks. you'll be done in less than a day..... trust me.

i got my grinder at harbor freight tools for 20 bux? and sanding disks for $5 more. this will make your job 10 times faster and easier.

5. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    time to beg lol plus the shower hose thing broke last morning on me, more fixing! =D

thanx SD, ill see and get photos of what the frame looks like(workin this new camera!) and let u see whatsup. frame doesnt look so bad to me. btw what coating do u recommend?

6. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

+1!!!!
    I think any power drill will probably burn out before you finish the job, plus it would feel awkward to use when compared to an angled grinder. SD is right. Harbor freight's 20buck grinders work great and they last surprisingly long. I bought one that lasted for 6years under heavy use. The last one worked fine for 3 years until I dropped it on the driveway from my garage roof and broke in half.

An angle grinder will spin at the rpm needed to knock off rust quickly. Warning!!!!!! Make sure you where leather gloves and safety glasses. The steel bristles on the brush will wear out and break and fly off the brush like tiny arrows. They will stick into your clothes and eyes if you are not wearing protection.

7. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i'd like to know where i can find an Harbor Freight's grinder.
    i have pics... still uploading

but i went to Lowe's and didn't find much... lowest was about $30 and it wasnt Harbor Frieghts.

but i did give this Chevy S10 a run while i was on my way home

8. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i apologize for my brief interruption, Sister was being a b!tch and kicked me off her computer.... and i think she hid the PS3 controllers.....
    oh well im at my cousins and here comes the pictures!
    What i also would like to know is where and what kind of undercoat should i apply?

I was told to wax-base undercoat first, then rubberized next. i've looked at Autozone's and cant find any wax based undercoats.. All i have is this 3M can of undercoat. I'll check O'reilly's next.
    1st blurry night picture. This is what the truck looked like, NEWYEARS!!
    [​IMG]
    The bed in the garage, took the dremel (with the small wire brush wheel) and went to war with some cracking adhesive thing... Well my dad had the drop in liner on the truck and before he put it on he put this padded tape thing under the edges... well they dried out and chipped my paint off the bed! well im getting those things worked off, i'll plan to spray teh bed, but im unsure of that as of now.
    [​IMG]
    I need more work here... Right side Rear Frame, but i did get stuff off at least.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's my baby this morning
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  9. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    [​IMG]
    Last Night Pic
    [​IMG]
    Am i going backwards?? well here's the bed when i first got it off
    [​IMG]
    I know, this picture scares me just as much it scares you, well more of me since im the one working on it!
    [​IMG]

Let's sum it up... Mom will ask my dad to get teh corded drill (i have a sanding disk.. word!) and she gave me $40 for undercoat. I will keep contact!

10. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    harbor freights is a store no a brand lol... and you live in kansas.. I wouldnt worry so much on coating the frame with anything.. maybe clean it up and spray paint it black or something.

11. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
    lol beds off time to bag it :p j/k i would sand it down treat it with some rust treatment i get this stuff from napa made by permatex works pretty good then just seal it

12. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    do yourself a favor bro, go to Lowe's and buy the cheapest grinder. in the same section as the grinding wheels and cut off wheels there are "flap wheels", they look like a grinding wheels but have flaps that are like sandpaper, they take off the rust and factory coating fast, and you can clean up the unsightly spatter that the factory welds have. home depot carries the Norton brand flap wheels, I'm unsure of what brand Lowe's sells. you could easily clean up the whole rear of the frame in a hour using the flap wheels. you could also get them at a weld supply shop if there is one nearby.

13. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i'll get to Lowe's and look for some flap wheels, i'll see what occurs.
    lol hack saw + me + truck = that muffler is coming off!!!!

Edit: btw my truck is getting so much attention for being bedless =/ i was ready to make this right turn at the intersection, looked to the left and this kid was staring wide eyes open. its like they never seen anything on a car. i can see his mouth saying" hey mom look!" and he was trying to get his mom to look. thought that was funny =]

then when i went to Lowe's earlier and was on my way out, this chevy S10 (80's?) pulls up behind me and revs up and what not. i was going down the road and he pulls in front of me, revs motor, and does a burnout. then he pulls away. then i follow him down, ya know, fellow minitrucker. and he kinda... speeds off, kinda scared and what not, like i was guna hunt him down or what not. but he made this one right turn (signal-less.. like most of his turns) and runs over the curb. then i just go home.

14. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    just curious, how are you 15 and driving around ? you can get your license that early over there ?

15. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    this is what i should really be sorry for...

well i drive on a permit..

my family and friends trust and are sure i drive responsibly and safely, which i do... well i drove 24HR from vegas to home nonstop

but ill be getting restricted once 27th reaches. i mostly go on short trips, use my signal plentyfully, and drive calm and fine in the majority of bad weather and forecast.

well if you wish, i'll try my best to stay off the road for ya. i enjoy driving and i have spent countless time learning cars

16. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    but yeah... restricted will come soon and i drive not like most clueless Wichitans.

if you trust me, i drive pretty smooth

back to the truck... sat. morning i will attempt more removal, if not ill be trying to lose a leaf.

happy trucking!

17. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    hey take it easy, at least you didnt use duct tapehttp://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=254&stc=1&d=1230963739

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  18. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i drove when i was on a permit as well, but in mesa az, having no bed is like having a big PULL ME OVER printed on the truck. every cop that sees you follows you. my friend is an ex- mesa cop, he said they were told to do "profile" stops. if you drove a carprice, they would follow, or anything lowered or primered. pretty much anything that was out of the norm.

19. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I drove around on my permit as well.. I was just curious because I know texas you can get your permit at 14 and license at 15... I thought it was cool and wished I lived in texas at the time, but now that I drive (especially being in my truck or my titan that cost us 40 grand) im glad that most kids dont have a license... just be careful though, one ticket and they make you wait one more year for your license

20. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    im glad most kids are too lazy to get one!

i agree age limit is fine but to pass the test here is like an obstacle course, u wont get it 1st time, maybe 2nd. kids here just read this booklet and pray to pass. but they need to stricten it. majority drivers here barely know what to do in sticky situations, scares me!

well all my future kids will need to know a whole lot about vehicle dynamics and will need to drive stick and no-ABS be4 they get a permit! sounds easy but thatll be wayy later