Yotarip's Turbo Truck - " Project Rebirth "

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by yotarip, May 9, 2008.

1. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I might have to invest in that.

I'd like to borrow a carpet shampooer and do my truck and Supra's carpets.

2. Chuck D

Chuck D Newbie

Truck:
    86 Regular cab. short bed
    Man I finally scored a 92 SC for 900 bucks, running and driving car. Sold my 22r and trans for 900 bucks. So at this point I'm even money. Got some mount from eBay on order that utilizes the 22r mounts. I'm going to use the auto from the lexus for now. Any pointers or suggestions on anything else I should get?

3. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Hey Chuck,
    I reference to the ebay mounts, some people have found that the bolt holes need to be massaged to mount to the block. They dont line up perfectly. Xcessive Manufacturing makes 1UZ mounts for the 22r celica that work perfectly for the truck and fit the block perfectly.

You can use the lexus trans but you will need to consider the following:
    1) The shifter linkage mounts on the passenger side on the Lexus trans but the shifter linkage mounts on the driverside on the truck auto. The easiest solution is to grab the floor shifter assembly from the cressida, supra or even the 80's RWD corollas. You can use the SC floorshifter but I believe it sits pretty high and may look out of place.
    2) The Lexus trans has a rubber donut coupling on the output shaft. No easy way around that. You will need to have a hybrid driveshaft fabbed to combine the truck and lexus driveshaft to fit. Not very expensive.
    3) You will need to make sure you use all sensors mounted on the trans to ensure that it shifts correctly. Not hard to do since it will all be part of the harness and it can be pulled as one.
    4) You will also need to wire up the normal/power switch to engage the different shift patterns. If you dont, it will only shift in normal mode which is boring.

In the end, It's so much easier to go with a 5 speed swap. It's expensive to buy the entire kit but you can just buy the adapter plate. Then source all the other needed parts from speed shops and save a few hundred. It will also put down 20-30 more HP to the ground over the auto trans.
    The wiring is much easier with the 5 speed too.

4. Chuck D

Chuck D Newbie

Truck:
    86 Regular cab. short bed
    I kinda figured I'd have to make a drive shaft. I was trying to haggle with the dude on ebay for the mounts so I'll just check out the ones you referenced instead, thanks by the way. My truck is a 5 speed currently so does that mean I'd still have gear selector location issues? I wanted to look into the posibilities of using a racing type of ratchet shifter instead of the Lexus one but have done zero research to see if it's even possible. I'm getting super stoked to get the drive train ripped out of the Lexus to start regasketing it top to bottom and a few other things before it get put in. I'm pretty savy with electrical so that part should be ok. The auto is purely a cost thing at the moment and the plan is to go back to 5 speed if the auto sucks to bad. Once again thanks for all the info and support you have given to all of us on here with these swaps.

5. walkerhiboost

walkerhiboost Newbie

Another difference if its like my aussie 85 Supra side markers is that the yellow sticks out like a wedge. Those were so hard to find for the old supras. I have those on my list to order for my truck.

6. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

You should be fine if you use the auto shift assembly from a a cressida or supra. You may have to drill mounting holes on the trans tunnel for the assembly since your truck is 5 speed.

7. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Well,
    The truck is down for the count right now. The diff started whining pretty bad one day. I crawled under it and noticed a large coating of oil on parts surrounding the pinion. Pulled the drain plug and it was dry. So I will be swapping in the ford 8.8 sooner than I thought. This is good because I also bought a pair of 4runner bed flares from Hanneman fiberglass. I will need the added width from the ford rear to fill the flares up. I may even go with an aggressive double staggered setup, 18x9 / 20x10.5. That will have to wait because I'm in the middle of this project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get back to the truck next month.

8. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Is there a build thread on this beast somewhere? Im curious about the VVTI install

9. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Yeah. It's on supramania
    1990 UZA70 - Yotarip is a one trick pony. LOTTTTSSS of pics..
    Not alot of detail on the mechanics of the swap because it's the same as all the other 1st gen 1uz supra swaps. I will detail more about the electronics as I get deeper into the build. I just test fit the motor this past weekend for the first time.

10. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

No big update here. I did find another 7.5 diff at the junkyard so it's back on the road. I also picked up a set of LED projector headlights and I love them.

[​IMG]

Low beam.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

High beam
    [​IMG]

Night pic, light filtered
    [​IMG]

Unfiltered
    [​IMG]

I plan to cut a scoop in the hood again and maybe some 17" deep dish mustang cobra wheels.

Mostly focusing on my supra.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Supra is looking BADASS!

Do those headlights have a cutoff line?

12. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    That Supra looks great.
    I'm loving this write up. So much info. I recently purchased a non wrecked 93 LS400 for $700. Was debating on whether I should drop the 1UZ in my 85 4Runner or my 89 2WD pickup. I decided to put it in the 2WD - I already have the interior pulled apart to run a body harness for an EFI swap on the 22R. Plus if I decide to 1UZ swap the 4Runner, less down time since many of the logistics will already be figured out. Hope you don't mind if I PM you at some point with questions.

13. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    should have left the 7m in there heheh cheaper to build

14. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

I hear you but I prefer more powerful stock for stock swaps. The 1UZ vvti fit the bill. 300 naturally aspirated hp on tap, less weight than a 7m and better weight distribution. I can go on and on about that sexy sound from the exhaust.

300 crank hp is my goal and as long as these 1uz vvti motors are getting easier to get, I'll be plenty satisfied with dropping these motors in light/small yota's like pickups and corollas.

Oh yeah, I hate 7m's:shrug: I helped a friend with a 1uz swap into a 90 supra. We rushed the build so he could race another friend who had a 87 supra 7m turbo. Ofcourse the 7m turbo blew it's headgasket a few weeks before we finished.:rolleyes:

15. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

No problem. Hit me up and goodluck.

16. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

17. jdbragg

jdbragg Enthusiast

i love everything about this truck.

18. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

^Thanks!
    This thing is a constant project. After a couple years of fighting the heavy manual steering, I decided to install the power steering setup I bought a while ago. The day after Xmas was almost 80 degrees here in Richmond VA, so it was a perfect time to do it. I used a power steering box from a 85 2wd pickup and the high pressure line from a 1991 4runner 3.0 without abs. The line bolted up to the 1uz pump and hilux box light factory. No problem at all there.

My problem started when I instalked the u joint for the rag coupling. The power box snout is longer that the manual one and it pushed the u joint flange into the exhaust manifold.
    [​IMG]

That would not work so off to the junkyard for a McGyver solution. I found a smashed 1992 Land cruiser with the setup I needed.

[​IMG]

I cut off the splined shaft to splice into my original shafts.

[​IMG]

Then I cut the rag flange off my intermediate shafts.

[​IMG]

The intermediate shafts is hollow and the splined shafts from the LC slid right in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed the setup at just the right length where I can install/remove the shafts by bottoming out the intermediate Shafter into the steering column section then slide the u joint onto the steering box.
    Then I welded it up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  19. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    I just had the same problem with the power steering conversion in my 1994. All you needed was the lower shaft for the steering from a 2wd truck with power steering. It bolts up like factory. It was a hard part for me to find though.

These are pics of the original 2wd manual steering lower shaft and the shorter power steering lower shaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  20. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

^ My issue was the need to eliminate the rag joint since it would not clear the exhaust manifold. Thanks for the tip though. My buddy will need this for his 94 toyota mini project.

In somewhat related news, I finally got the UZ VVTi in my supra running!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a 4.3 3uz VVTi running on 4.0 1uz VVTi ecu, harness and throttle body. I need to change out the squeaky timing belt tension pulleys. A VVTi motor will find it's way into my truck eventually.

90DailyDriven likes this.