WTH is up with this?!

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by joeynational, Jan 1, 2013.

1. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    I've been burning up fan switches like it's cool. I've already replaced the resistor which was bad, the male end of the harness that plugs into the switch was already a little burnt. But I just bought a new switch about 6 months ago and now its burned up like the last 2. I don't know what else would be causing this, the only thing I could thing of is the switch is getting too much current because of the resistance from the burnt harness plug...anyone else have any ideas this is becoming annoying!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bdtoyota91

bdtoyota91 Member

Truck:
    91 single cab
    is that the blower resistor pigtail or the fan switch pigtail? maybe your blower wheel is caked with dust or the blower motor is going bad?

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I'd check the above mentioned and also fix up that connector if its loose or has corroded terminals it can create a high amp situation wich in turn gives of heat same goes for a faulty or dirty blower motor

4. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    well i cut off that part of the harness, its the fan switch side..I have an extra just can't find it now hahaha..It got so hot it even melted some of the insulation! I haven't checked the blower motor, good idea now that its all apart

5. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    When you overheat or burn an electrical circuit, the damage caused is not just at the connector area but could be much further back in the wires / harness or even in another device. A dirty fan wheel usually does not cause the kind of damage you are showing. The fan motor itself could be damaged, the resistor card / relay or any of the wiring in that circuit could be causing the problem. Disconnect all of the wiring in the heater motor circuit, used a Ohm test meter and measure all of the wiring for high resistance. Replace the resistor card / relay and check the fan motor resistance.

6. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    ^thanks! I'll def check wiring too..wanna fix this once and for all. I just replaced the resistor card for the different fan speeds hope its not bad..