Work begins on my 71 hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Eduardo, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Eduardo

Eduardo Newbie

Finally got all the parts I needed to get the ball rollin on my hilux project I bought this little truck a few months ago and I have to admit it's been killing me to have it road worthy. So this morning I pumped up the tires, poured a little fuel in the carb and as it had been since I rebuilt the carb (rebuild kit included in purchase) which needed alot of tuning still fired right up.. but since I planned on swapping an r22 in it I didn't bother to do or put any money into the original drivetrain.. but happy to say the original stuff works flawlessly besides having air in the brake lines... I drove it 10 miles from my house to the my shop and had no issues whatsoever.
    So the plan is to fab up new floors and rockers, clean and rust proof the frame and under body put an R22 paired with a mk2 w58 and a mk3 lsd diff. Let's see how this goes.[​IMG]

Toyo hilux https://imgur.com/gallery/rvsGt

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Truck looks good. 22R with a W58 runs pretty good. I have that same set up on my truck. Still debating ln the LSD though.

Not sure if you know this or not but some of The early Celicas had a W58 behind a 22R so you wont have to deal with swapping bellhousings like you would pulling the trans out of a supra.

3. Eduardo

Eduardo Newbie

Yeah I had read about the bell housing, Just had a spare supra in the yard so I was just using what I had.
    What would be a con against running the lsd?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I dont know of any cons honestly.

Eduardo likes this.
  5. Eduardo

Eduardo Newbie

[​IMG] So got a little work in today dad and gramps in the shop helping out. we pulled the bed off dropped the fuel tank, which by the way was better than half full, old fuel but it ran on it so good mower fuel. We pulled the seat cleaned out the junk and got our first look at the work ahead. Continued to pull the engine and trans, got ahead of myself and dropped the drum subframe assuming that the disc brake sub I had got would just bolt up, :verdict_in: but as dad pointed out is a few inches wider so back it goes on to switch just the necessary parts for disc brakes.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/H1Fdx

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea the disc crossmember is wider. I had the entire crossmember for mine too and once i read the frame was wider i just stripped it down and swapped over what i needed

Eduardo likes this.