Wont Cold Start!

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by KatieTRD, Apr 8, 2008.

1. KatieTRD

KatieTRD Newbie

Hey guys - My new (to me!) 1990 22r 2wd just wont cold start. My boyfriend changed the plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap and coil - I am getting spark! It wont cold start, thats the problem. Once it is fired up it will run and start all day fine - its just after it sits overnight it takes 20 mins of cranking it over and pumping the gas for it to start. What should I check? My bf says it is probably the choke - but his truck is a 2rz so he might not know what hes talking about.

Thanks guys! Any ideas would be great!

-Katie

2. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    Well a 1990 model shouldn't have a 22r. It should have a 22re unless someone has swapped it to carbeuration which would be pretty stupid in my opinion. If it's a 22re then you don't have a choke and shouldn't have to pump the gas because all pushing th gas pedal down on a fuel injected engine does is open up the throttle body so if it doesn't crank without pressing the pedal down theres a good chance that it's not gonna crank when you do press it down. So lets say you have a 22re, by the description you've gave you've obviously got a fuel problem I would make sure you're getting fuel to the fuel rail and if you are then I would check out your cold start injector. If that goes out then you're probably gonna have a hell of a time getting it started when it's cold if the cold start injector is not working.

3. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    D'oh !

I had a post up but soo didnt inquire of engine with year and all. So I deleted my post. My bad, Im sorry !

4. KatieTRD

KatieTRD Newbie

its a carbbed 22r... says it on the valvecover and its got a carb with a big round breather on top. They were rare, but they existed!

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    It's been a while since I owned a carb'd vehicle, but I think I have an idea.
    The first thing I would do is check for air, fuel, and spark. Since it runs fine after you get it started, I would assume that you have all three later in the game.
    So my first instinct is to check for fuel.
    First thing in the morning, remove the air cleaner and spray a bit of starting fluid down the carb, if it starts right up and runs or starts and dies out, you know that fuel is the issue.

It could be that the fuel pump is losing it's prime overnight. I don't know much about the 22r setup, but it could also be the choke if it has one. I do know that if the fuel pump is mechanical ,they have a habit of beginning to gum up, especially if the truck sat for any length of time. The little one way valves inside the pump can start to leak over time and allow the fuel to drain back into the tank.

Keep us updated....

6. KatieTRD

KatieTRD Newbie

okay! The fuel pump is pumping tonnes of fuel - and when i aim the tube down the carb - she fires right up! My boyfriend was mentioning the AAP (Auxilery Accelerator Pump) isnt functioning right, and that would affect cold starts, cause it squirts extra fuel into the carb.

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Ah yes, I forgot about that. That could also hurt acceleration at any speed.

8. KatieTRD

KatieTRD Newbie

Alright, so we cleaned out the carb and voila! Its been running great now...thanks for all the help guys!