Wiring harness

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 81SR5Al, Jan 29, 2011.

1. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    hey guys, anyone know if there is an aftermarket or stock replacement wiring harness for the 79-83? I bet there isn't but I thought I'd ask. I'm wondering if I could make the Painless 12-circuit kit work. I'm having quite a few electrical bugs lately (wipers will work sometimes and not others, blower motor, etc) and when something stops working if I smack he fuse box a couple times it works again! I'm planning on re-soldering the whole box, but I'm wondering if there is a replacement. With the old one I might just have problems again.

Also, what does the wiper motor do when it's going out? Just stop working, or does it click? Mine just clicked the last two times I tried to use them, wouldn't come on at all. Just now when i went out the the truck they worked fine. ???? Weird.

2. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    could be the gears are stripping or sometimes it doesn't get enough juice or something is acting as a mechanical resistance or there could be electrical resistance in the circuit somewhere, I learned this in electrical at school UTI :D

3. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Right... if the connection at the fuse box is bad it won't get steady current. Maybe the connection is corroded to the point it works sporadically. I guess when I pull it out and re-solder I might get things working again. This truck was really neglected and there isn't much left I haven't messed with. I'm afraid to look in the gas tank..... :eek:

There is a point with wiring harnesses that its easier to replace them than fix them when they become spliced together too bad.