Wiring different headlights

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by jackash002, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    I have a thread in the body section about putting in some jeep grand cherokee headlights, they are in, blah blah... time to wire them up. the jeep headlights have a seperate bulb for high and low beam.. toyota has a single bulb with additional voltage or second wire of bulb for additional light.. i think added to the low beam? like 50w + 5w= 55w high beam?

Everything is wired up and working finally.. EXCEPT the high beams.. it takes a little juice(dims) the low beams, and the high beam is just a pathetic glow..
    :brickknock:
    i tried hooking up a relay so that the pathetic glow going to the high beam would be the switch(wire that activates the relay) to turn on the real power needed and turn on the high beam lamp... doesn't work.
    it went all retarded, it would turn off the low beam, triedhooking the power to the low beam and signal from the high beam so it would connect the two and not turn off the opposite somehow, didn't work.
    if i unhook the high beam, the regular beam doesn't work.. if i remember right
    it seemed like it would be so simple.. positive wire, negative wire.. but it's not cooperating.. and i think the relay grounds out when it's not on.. that make sense?
    :cry:
    it did all kinds of retarded crap, don't remember exactly what because i tried as many different combo's as i could think of, one had the lights only on when the switch was off, and off with the lights on, (i think the relay grounded out or something?)
    :looney:
    i dunno, all confused.. right now i said screw it and hooked it up like stock with different housing so the low beams work, high beams switched on just dim down the low beams slightly and glow the high beam lamp.. I know the easy way would be to wire a seperate headlight circuit for the high and low beams, and universal switch from auto parts store but i wanted to keep the factory switch... secondary would be to make a switch for the high beams.. and hook both high and low beam wires to the low beam lamp? going to look into HID kits see if it would offer a different wiring method or bypass factory retardedness maybe?
    :verdict_in:
    if anyone has turned their single headlight into a two- lamp headlight i would REALLY appreciate some imput.. or the thing i am missing to the too simple toyota wiring? i have a multi-meter and chilton wiring diagram... but it's just not cooperating when it comes to the HIGH beam .. any help would be appreciated :clapping:

2. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    thats a lot of smiley faces

I don't have dual headlights but I have 4runner headlights with a new headlight harness. I was having the same problem with my high beams not working. The stock headlights are part of the circuit and without them plugged in you wont be able to switch to your high beams.

I personally went under the dash and found the high beam switch wire in the steering column harness. I cut the wire and used a relay to switch it from negative to positive trigger and my high beams have worked ever since.

3. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    I just realized your trucks older but I bet its the same.

Here is a link that shows you how to wire up relays to switch polarity and almost everything else that can be done with a relay.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp#n2p

4. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    awesome,i will look at the diagrams and test if it is a negative output.. i was under the impression it was positive, which could be why it was throwing me off so bad if it is backwards.. wife n fam is sick so i will just have to look at the diagram for now and let you know if it works later. thanks- Ben