Windshield washer emitters

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Perkolator, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Can someone post up some pics of how their stock windshield wiper emitters/washers are setup in their 76-78 truck? Specifically looking to see exactly how they route and mount through the firewall into the cowl vents. If you've got the hose routing and pump/reservoir locations too I would appreciate it so I can use it for reference.

I've got a 75 and supposedly we had different setup with emitters coming through the hood instead of hidden in the vents. Well the PO of my truck swapped the hood with a 78 and so I have no washers. I'm still going to buy a universal kit for a reservoir and pump, but don't want to drill my hood. Someone informed me that some Hilux had "hidden" washer emitters, so I investigated.

I found a used pair of the 76-78 emitters. They look like a piece of rigid brake line, with a mounting flange welded/brazed onto them. The end simply looks crimped to make a spray head. Although I don't think I've got the mounting holes, I don't see why I can't get them to work if I drill a hole for the tube and use a self tapping screw for the tab. And if it doesn't work out, the holes I drilled won't be through my hood they'll be in the firewall and I'll simply plug them up.

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    They are the same up to 83. The lines ran along the firewall turned at the drivers fender well and went to the pump/reservoir by the drivers headlight.

You can see how it was put together in this pic of my 78.

[​IMG]

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    They're the same up to 83? Hmmm, I might have to take a look in the engine bay of one of my friends - he's got an 82 2wd longbed.

So basically it looks like it just points up in the 2nd vent slot and the hose is a larger hose that goes around the OD of the tube not the ID - is the whole hose length like this all the way to the pump, or does it adapt from a smaller line?

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yup all they are is a tube with a crimp on the tip and a flange to screw it to the firewall.

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I just bought the ones I saw on CL. I considered fabricating a set from some steel brake line I've got sitting around from making RC chassis, but lets get real here it's easier and cheaper for me to spend $15 shipped vs spend 2 hours brazing and figuring out how to make a clean crimp on the end. I'm just gonna drill a hole in the firewall and use a sheet metal screw to fasten it. Will post up when I'm finished.