will it work

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by doubtfull, Oct 12, 2010.

1. doubtfull

doubtfull Newbie

Truck:
    73 hiboy
    supra twin turbo engin trany n rearend diffs n all will it workin a73 hilux

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    it might, try and find an g code from a supra with 4 pin lsd and swap it over to your truck g code axle, but everything is possible my friend...

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    i donno about the motor fitting though, my 22r fits but is really really close to the radiator. add 2 more cyclinders and you will have to tub the firewall to get the engine in I bet. Then the shifter might be so far back you will HAVE to run bucket seats and even then the shifter might be kinda wacky back.

4. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    Cut and extend your frame bro, if you want custom you gotta get custom.

5. The Crowing

The Crowing Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 Toyota Pickup
    The better question is how much money do you have lol.

A few things I know are going to need to happen. Firewall modification, you'll need a whole new trans tunnel, I suggest using the Wilwood pedal assembly, and also remote mounting the radiator, ptobably going to need to make the intercooler outboard.

Seeing that the 2J is like my RB's fraternal twin looking at the GTR next to the truck, motor to core support clearance is a massive issue, infact... I think ill go measure.

But then again I've seen a 2J and a 1UZ stuffed into a AE86 lol

6. Tre3

Tre3 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1981 2wd longbed..starsky and hutch colored
    might as well do a rb26..or a 454

7. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Aw just do a cummins 4cyl haha

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    More info please....(cummins)

I don't see why the 1j or the 2j wouldn't fit. Your engine bay isn't much shorter than ours is it?

9. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    its like 3 inches shorter...which is a lot. my 22r water pump pulley has about 1/4 inch clearence from my electric puller fan ( which is a low pro 1.5 inch thik fan )

there is a little room behind the head to the firewall, but definitly not enough to add 2 more pistons lol. myabe 2 inchs or a lil less.

10. mikes87yota

mikes87yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 2WD SR5 "Mojave Edition"
    you can do it but just depends how much money your willing to throw into it.. if you want twin turbo then you might as well spend the extra 500.00 and get a 2JZGTE with the factory 6speed tranny from JDM, you will have to make custom crossmember,motor mounts, a rear sump oil pan, your gunna have to cut the radatior support so you can move the engine into the car and re weld back together, you will may have to beat your firewall to give it a little more clearence, your gunna have to take the belt fan off and mount the radiator with electric fans, i would move the intercooler to the bed of the truck so your turbo will be alot cooler, rework clutch,oil feed,fuel, lines, rewire your truck to ECU, upgrade your gas tank to an fuel cell tank and electric fuel pump, might also wanna get a boost timer from msd and i have seen people use megasquirt to replace the ecu im not sure, and your gunna have to re work your exausht system... its do able and i say go for it it would be a hard swap but a kick ass one... im still deciding on if i should keep my 22r or swap in a 7mge,1jz,2jz into my 83 yota lolz

11. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

I would venture to say that in order to create clearance for not a lot of coin, lightly tub the firewall/trans tunnel, and build a round tube radiator support that moves the radiator closer to the grille. Use this support for the intercooler, mount the radiator in the bed. Keep in mind, you don't want a lot of weight sitting too far in front of the spindles, this makes braking and handling....interesting, to be nice about it.

Even going this route, you still might have issues with your shifter being too far back in the cab, to the point of bucket seats, and worse yet a very uncomfortable driving position. Also, don't forget a custom length drive shaft.

Get the ecm, and all under hood wiring needed to make the thing run, or run a mega squirt.

CAN it be done? More than likely. How much will it cost? Probably a lot. Will it take long? Yes. will it even be worth it? I'd say so, but I'm of the school that too much power still isn't enough.