Why is my 81 pick up throwing 16 volts?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by illestyota, Feb 26, 2017.

?

So i have a 1981 toyota pick up and i am wondering why is my truck throwinv 16 voltags ?if anyone kn

1. Engine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Volts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. illestyota

illestyota Newbie

Truck:
    I have a 1988 and a 1981 toyota pickup
    I posted a photo in the attachment so yall can see what im talking about at first i was having a problem that it would only throw out 7 now its throwing out 16 and also i have this problem when i turn on my turn signals or something it moves to rythem of when i have the turn signals if anyone knows what can be my problem why it does that throws out 16 please let me know i am curious i have a 1981 toyota pick up?????

Attached Files:

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Sounds like a bad voltage control regulator.
    Depending on your type of alternator it will either be a 5 or 6 wire regulator.

3. illestyota

illestyota Newbie

Truck:
    The previous owner had a 84 to a 88 alternator in it and they i had changed the VR before i found out that the alternator was diffrent and when i put in a new regulator it had burned 2 of my wires and i changed out the alternator yesterday of 50 aps and i gust dont know what the problem is

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I'm not sure I'm following you. If your factory alternator has a green pigtail plug it's probably a 6 wire. The two 5/6 will not interchange.
    You need to match your vr to your alternator, or visa versa.
    Hopefully you didn't fry something inside the harness.

I have both styles of alternators at my shop. I'll snap pictures and post tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  5. illestyota

illestyota Newbie

Truck:
    The VR has 6wires i tryed to change it wit a new one and what it did wen i put the new one was it burned the new VR so i put the old old one back on n i seen that they put a different alt. From a 84-88 alt. So i bought a new alt. That had the green male cause it matched the harness n now its reading 15.30 or over volts. The new alt is a 50 amp idk if thatz the problem or is a short and thank i would really appreciate you sharing the photos to see what can be my problem

6. Steve M Clark

Steve M Clark Member

Truck:
    1980 SR5 short bed
    I had that happen with the stock 40 amp alternator and it was the regulator, the charge light came on and went out past 3000rpm.6 wire green plug regulator (40 amp),Rock auto new $12 -$25 , 40 amp alternator(77-84) rebuilt $20-$30.There were two alternators according to the 1980 Toyota Repair Manual,55 and 40 amp with different regulators.

7. illestyota

illestyota Newbie

Truck:
    Im scared to change the VR again lol it might finish burning all the wires the last one burned 2 wires to half way until i unpluged the VR if not woulda kept going. But ive been driveing the truck like that n nothing has happen

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    Unable to upload alternator pictures. (file too large?).
    You have to go back to basics. Get the Haynes manual for your truck. Buy an inexpensive digital volt meter. (your analogue could be giving an inaccurate reading).
    Start by testing alternator output. Next go to the regulator. (ohmmeter needed). Be sure the VR is grounded to the car before connecting electric plug. If not grounded, it could damage the VR. Check the 6 pin plug on the wiring harness to be sure all contacts are clean and not burned. Someplace like AutoZone can test your alternator off the vehicle.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Or you can spend ~$150 and swap a GM 3 wire alt and be done with it and have 100A on tap

10. illestyota

illestyota Newbie

Truck:
    How would i wire the three wires for the gm never had this problem on ma other yotas