Who's running electric fan/s?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SD YOTA, Feb 8, 2009.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    What size fan's are you running? what CFM?? 1 or 2? anyone have pictures? ive also heard of people running ford taurus fans???

if you havent guessed it.... im looking to go electric and just looking to see what everyone else has going on. :waytogo:

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    [​IMG]
    16" curved blade Spal, Centech fan controller,can set too come on @ the temp. you want,also a manual switch.:cool:

3. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    taurus fan is good since it has 2 speeds

I'm running a volvo fan which takes way too much power and has always had electrical gremlins with the flexalite temp sensor telling the fan to kick on to late or early.

Not really worth the effort imho.....

4. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    Hi;

I run a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan with a Ron Francis Wire Works 176 degree water temperature sensor. I wired the unit into the Toyota AC idle circuit so the fan automatically goes to high speed when my AC comes on. The fan moves enough air to handle 500+ HP engines (I use the same fan in my street rods) without over heating. I also installed manual override switches for fan on / off and high / low speed. I have had these fans installed for many years without any problems. Hope this info helps.

Best regards,

suncomb1

5. HumanResource

HumanResource Member

TA's gots LIGHT SABREs in da injun bay to hold up the hood for shows!!!
    dats sickness!!!

6. phatmitzu

phatmitzu Veteran

Truck:
    93 Standard Cab 5spd
    Care to write a DIY thread for us? Please?

:)

7. Asha'man

Asha'man Member

Truck:
    '85 Xtracab 2wd, '86 4Runner
    I have a Taurus fan in my SVO. I have it wired to a Bosch relay which is controlled by a manual switch. Fine for that car, but I wouldn't want the setup in a daily driver due to the lack of automatic turn-on. Fan works great, though, pulls a ton of air.

8. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yea, im wondering what setup i'd like to run..... the taurus fan would likely be a good cheap alternative. probably better than a single stage fan but at the same time, a single stage fan works just great :shrug:

im shopping around.....

9. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    flex-a-lite

I personally use the black magic

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/toyota-4x4.html

its a little pricey but everything you need is included and it fits like its supposed to

replacement parts are easy to find as well. I found that out the hard way once :brickknock:

the 4x4 fits the 2wd.

10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i like the taurus fan as well.

it fits like this on the stock radiator

[​IMG]

uncut
    [​IMG]

but doesnt fit in my wagon yet :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    90ish maxima small fan, doesn't really cut it.

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    here is a pics of mine..will put the same one in my MC hauler too..
    [​IMG]

12. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I am using a '92 Ford Taurus cooling fan that i believe puts out about 2800CFM and i have it wired to the High speed to cool the AC condenser as well..
    I used to run these on my Mazda RX7

Here are the pics.

[​IMG]

It fits neatly on the Hilux radiator:
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of room or gap i should say:
    [​IMG]
    Here is the wiring done the right way.. the trigger comes from underneath the dash by the steering column:
    [​IMG]

13. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    Jew, I see in this thread your using a Taurus fan im using a pt cruiser wired for high speed on a 30 amp fuse with a toggle on the dash never even use it unless im stuck in traffic

14. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

I used to have a toggle switch also but then i didnt want to forget to turn it on because i would have to constantly look at the temp gauge... plus i am in Miami where it is always hot and humid so i run the AC in my Hilux.. it works great now.. so it is always on when the ignition is on.

15. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    I put my toggle right next to cig lighter I almost always accidentally hit it while starting my truck kind of a back up idiot proofing lol plus the only gauge I watch is my temp anyway and fuel level too the rest are pointless ,like speedo

16. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    OK quick question. My 88 came with R12 freon and has sent been converted over to R134A. The A/C works fine as long as you are moving but if you sit still and idle in the South Louisiana summer heat it will warm up inside pretty quick. The research that I have done says that this is fairly common on these swaps I suppose since the system was designed for one coolant and I am using another. I was wondering if an electric fan setup would work better that the stock fan to improve it ? My truck runs the same temp once warm 1/4 of gauge. Just have wondered if this would fix my issue or not while reading this thread.

Thanks,
    22R88

17. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

R12 is best to save and there are few places that may still have the refrigerant 12 .. once you convert to 134A it only cools about 60 - 70 percent .. I had to convert because i bought my truck wrecked so the AC released from the broken lines.

With the old system you didn't need much of a fan to keep it from blowing up as the AC guys out here say but with the 134A you should run a fan like a small one in front of the condenser since you already have your fan clutch.
    When your AC guy converted your refrigerant he had to run your truck at idle and then accelerate for the fan to kick in to stable the pressure because without that the lines could expand and blow.

My suggestion is that you get a small fan up front of the condenser and have the trigger be the AC compressor of course with a relay so each time your AC comes on so will the fan.

18. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Thanks for the advice Jewish Guy. Any particular fan that will fit up there with the clutch ? Something I can buy like a flex-a-lite with the wiring included or will I have to rig something up ? Appreciate your time.

22R88

19. The Jewish Guy

The Jewish Guy Veteran

You wont be able to put a fan on the I/B side of your radiator because of the space restriction but you can get a small fan on ebay or an auto parts store and you will have to mount it on the O/B side of your condenser.. that is in front of your condenser between the rad support and your front grille. You dont need much so you should be able to get by with an 8" fan. ( I will be adding a small fan soon so i can run my large fan on the low speed setting )

** Of course the trick will be that both fans run in different directions.. the condenser small fan should blow towards the motor whereas the large fan suck air away from the radiator towards the motor.. but i have to give that one more thought... **

The route i took was to go to the junkyard and take a fan from a '92 Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable which cost me $35.00

Then I paid a guy to wire up a relay which cost me $60.00 and he put the wires in and wired it up to my ignition by the steering column and not the ignition coil which is a quick way to do it but it can cost you bucks when the ignition wire burns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  20. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    [​IMG]

16'' Spal w/ Centech fan controller,over flow tanks are from CoolFlex,one is over flow the other is windshield washer fluid, radiator is custom made by Griffin:cool: