Who said Turbo??

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by first80toyota, Jul 22, 2013.

1. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Same here it's midnight madness tonight at the track .. 9 till 1am . Gonna be in the low seventies tonight to should make for good runs

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Ours goes from 5:30 until midnight. Hopefully it won't be busy so I can do a lot of runs, and a few civics so I can maybe beat them! Hahah

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    As long as its faster than me on a bmx bike you can be proud lol. I'm more curious about your trap speed lol.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    What's trap speed?

5. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Your speed at the end of the quarter

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Ohhhhhh..

7. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So I just got back from dragging my truck.. Keep in mind the only thing I've to it performance wise is a weber 32/36 and got rid of the egr crap, and this was my first ever time on the track.

I made a total of 8 runs
    Best RT .254
    Best 1/4 was 18.806
    Fastest MPH was 70.36mph
    I always ran between 65 and 69 except my first and last, first was 65mph and last was the 70mph..
    I shifted at about 4000rpm everytime and was doing about 4000rpm in 4th at the finish.

I need upgrades!!! What do you think the best bang for the buck upgrade is?

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Shifting at 5500 is the best ban for the buck. And run super, so you can adjust the timing to around 15-18 BTDC. Also, cut the choke horn off the weber and remove the choke parts. Step up the idle circuit on primary and secondary, and the main jets on both sides. I can dig up my notes of what sizes work best for what the build has so far for various combos. But, usually 2 steps for mild 3-4 for more racey motors. That's all stuff that's tuning stage. Doesn't cost much or anything to get some more power.

And porting the intake helps so much. The ports can go up quite a bit to the size of the gasket holes (called gasket matching) and the bar between the plenum bores needs to be cut away. The stock bores are 28x28mm. Your weber is a 32x36mm so its being choked down. The surface area is about even if you make it a big single opening.

Try those few things and report back to us :D

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    You were at PIR as in pacific international raceway in the southern king county area? I haven't been there in a long time. Next time you go let us know, we can make a website drag event. It's less than 2 hours from my house to get there. And id stomp it just as hard as I do on the streets lol. Shift about 6500 when I'm redlining it out.

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    What were you dropping the clutch at when you launch? Just off idle or holding it at a certain rpm? Mine launches best from about 2200, any more and the tires break loose. But at the track I could warm them up.

11. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I'm not modding the carb.. Just something I don't want to do, but I can change the jets:D
    I feel like it looses power after about 4200? So why would I continue too 5500?
    I really need to get another head and intake and just start going to town working on it, then swap it over.. Or just get a job and finish my motor!;)

Probably a dumb question, but do headers allow you to rev higher since it should breathe more?

12. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Nahh, Portland International Raceway.. It's right over the bridge in Oregon.

I wasn't paying much attention to rpm on launch, but if I had to guess I was probably about 1800-2200.. I warmed my tires Half the time and it didn't seem to make a difference.. I did have trouble with the tires breaking loose a couple times..

I don't think my secondary is opening all the way, gotta check that out for sure! I feel like its probably only opening about half..

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    That's why you run out of steam at 4200. Header with a 2.25" or 2.5" exhaust flows way better. Routes nicely on these trucks if you're not too low. If you are, don't spend too much on fancy mufflers they get beat up lol. And the ignition coil since its still stock.

And I've found more improvement in porting the intakes than the heads. As far as the normal amount of work being done. 20r head flows pretty damn well as it is.

14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Ahh. So make that about 3 hours south :lol: I'm still down. Next month some time. I'd guess mines in the 16s. Feels slow considering I grew up in 12 second hot rods lol. That's why I'm sort of power biased against 4 cylinders past a certain amount of effort and cost.

15. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So a header, port an intake for it, hotter coil, and check To make sure the secondary opens up..
    I will be low 18's for sure by the end of this! Hahah

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    That's my basic check list for any engine. Or on some cars and trucks a better factory exhaust manifold was available but there's tons of Toyota headers so screw the heavy cast iron crap. I have a pace setter. Flows great. Hangs a bit low. Fairly cheap. Accel or msd coils are good. Some better plugs and wires to pass the coil energy are a good idea for the small cost. I have Taylor 8mm spiral wires. Take high rev no problem. And ngk v power plugs. They're like $2 so cheap enough to change plenty while tuning things in. An air fuel gauge would help with some tuning stuff. I'm working on that still. You're a ways of from needing that though lol.

17. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I have 7mm wires and NGK V Power plugs, Im looking at an accel coil from autozone.. Probably will get a pacesetter or a headman header.. whatever I can find cheapest :D I dont have a hanging low issue currently, so i dont really care about that..

18. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Man just caught up on the topic to back track you giys but you just made me fill good at what I ran n/a don't know what mine runs with boost though best no boost was 16.1 with a broken leed in the distributor didn't know till I got home and I was on my heavy 18's now I wanna know everyone's best

19. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I gotta shave off some seconds! The more I think about it the more I think my secondary isn't opening at all. I gotta check everything soon.