Who said Turbo??

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by first80toyota, Jul 22, 2013.

1. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    yup just watch how much timing your using and always run 91 or higher octane.

2. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
  3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    beyondspexj. Is that your current setup? If it is I want to know the info!:)

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    what brand is that ^^^ FAR better setup then the LC/camden unit, way less space. i saw a picture of that charger on pirate4x4 but couldnt find the brand/seller.

to be perfectly honest, im assuming rings. it had incredible blow by and i found hardened steel in the oil and have yet to get around to tearing down the motor. i also had strapped the supercharger to a motor that was in my wheeler for 2yrs and rolled twice, once running upside down for 10min ish (very long story, but its on youtube). the bottom end was a bone stock unrebuilt 20r and a random pre84 22r head.

the supercharger is just fine, had a separate mag filter before it. the motor died. build thread here http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/build-up-project-threads-19/wagon-build-up-429/

a supercharger keeps a constant rate of boost, its the motor that runs out of steam.

money wise, both turbo and SC are the same. in the end you'll have built the motor, upgraded the exhaust, intake, fuel delivery, cooling and internals to get do it right.

but in this case we're still talking about a forklift motor, a slow revving one at that.

if your just building for giggles, you cant beat a SC, the whine makes peoples head turn at a block away.

even having said all that, the introductory price to a SC is usually more then a turbo

5. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    I thought the owner told me it was LCE, but I'm not 100% on that. He did say he was having a helluva time dialing it in though.

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I feel like a supercharger is a better fit for me.. Seems like less variables and things needed like bov's and what turbo to get and intercooler and so on.. And if you can run stock internals it's just a cherry on top.

I don't need a high revving motor, 5-6k is perfectly fine as long as it gets it going!

7. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Sounds good keep up the good work let us know when you've made changes always nice to see new things

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Changes wont be for a long time, Need a job to pay for everything...:doah:
    But I will probably have a built short block soon depending on if I buy different pistons and rods.

9. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Just keep doing research and get your plan down 100% and stick to it. Mid build changes always add up fast. I've had 4 engines in my truck already. I'm burnt out on 4 cylinders. They can get pretty mean but like people said, they have a horsepower limit of about 200 with a ton of money. The average hybrid makes around 140-160 depending on specifics. The next engine I build will be a V8. Small block dodge. Can adapt to the 5 speed with Dakota bell housing parts.

I would suggest to build a fresh 20r and keep it street able. Turbos and blowers are lots of fun, but create lots of extra stress on parts. You'll find out the trans and rear end won't like big power for long. I'm not knocking your plan, just trying to help guide you down a realistic path. It's tough to build a race motor with a low budget and less than a week down time.

Now prove us all wrong and make a badass little truck :D

10. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    ata boy preach

11. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Now that's what I like to hear! I'm building a motor that can take the pressure, so that even if I can't afford it right now I know it will be able to later on. I'm still doing research on what exactly I want, so that I don't spend $3k on a setup that cost $500 in the end(just an example)..

Right now I'm leaning towards a supercharger, but it has crossed my mind of just building a basic motor, partly for street ability and cost, but maybe with a little 50 shot of nitrous. You know, the stuff that makes you feel funny all over:D no matter what I do I will make myself happy just knowing I built it.

With that in mind, can stock pistons and rods take a small shot of nitrous? Maybe just have the rods shot peened for the stress relief?

I'm highly debating going with just nitrous, seeing as LC has the perfect kit. Budget nitrous kit including a 35, 50, and 75hp nozzle.. It says for EFI but couldn't it be adapted for carb?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  12. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    nitrous will add just as much stress but make sure you do your home work and read up on using nitrous. will definitely help in letting your motor last more then one pass lol. supercharger/turbocharger/nitrous are all great power adders when use correctly and when the motor is built to handle them. as well as the rear end and transmission.

13. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    What are your guys thoughts on LC's street hyperutectic pistons? They say they are a lot stronger then stock pistons, but I'm wondering if any of you are using them, and how the are?

14. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    They are stronger, but you can get the hyperutectics just about anywhere. Still only handle mild builds. Of course you can run boost on just about any setup for short time....

I'd have to take issue with the 200 hp limit too. A good stand alone and a turbo make power pretty quickly. I'd say that I'm probably at 200 to the wheels right now, and I haven't been to the dyno to dial in the timing. That's with 10-12 pounds, and a properly built setup can take 24 pounds all day.

There's still the issue of money though. :rolleyes:

15. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    That supercharger looked like a b&m model there was a guy selling one in Chicago for a 20r for 350 dollars I woulda sheit myself if it was for a 22r

Nitrous is a practiced skill when on carbed motors especially
    Timing fuel jets and plugs all play a role . . I think stock ignition is to weak for it

16. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I think stock ignition on any motor is too weak for the stock motor it powers. I ALWAYS upgrade the coil, plugs and wires. And if I can, the brain box and cap/rotor to better than stock. If you start with the small stuff first, it benefits you now and you have all the parts for later o help offset the cost.

17. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    True true I run MSD S,C,I, box with blaster2 coil that will light your @$$ after running aftermarket I will never go back

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I replaced my spark plugs within 1000 miles, don't remember if I went better or oe equivalent, but I'm definitely going to get a hotter coil soon.. The PO replaced the plugs, wires, cap and had the carb tuned right before I bought it so I didn't feel like spending money in that area.. I'll soon be doing some of that stuff though!

On a side note, I'm going racing tonight.. PIR has late nights drags you can race anything you bring;) Anybody want to guess my times? I'm hoping for under 20sec 1/4.. But I've never done it before and could be wishful thinking.

19. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    17.1, 16.1 yea i called both and watch him do both:nana:

20. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    :funnyup::eek:With everything stock except a weber and de-smogged?? And it's a 4 speed with 4.10's out back.. Don't get my hopes up like that! :D:rolleyes:

No matter what time I get, it will be a good base line!