Who said Turbo??

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by first80toyota, Jul 22, 2013.

1. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Haha pretty sure you are I've been on here sense 2007 and I do believe your the first carb turbo truck member ...I have run across . Most folks see a carburetor and think it can't be done or two difficult

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    A write up would be awesome!

3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So I've started a checklist of things I will need... Planning on a draw through, feel like it will be less hassle in the long run.

Engine internals:
    -stronger rods (eagle h beams?)
    -forged pistons
    -Thicker head gasket or shim
    -Head studs

For the fun stuff:D
    -Turbo (thinking of ct20 or ct26, at least as a start, and it's staying Toyota!)
    -Blow off valve, gotta have the pssshhhhhhhh;)
    -pressure sensitive fuel regulator
    -High pressure fuel pump
    -exhaust manifold
    -intake
    -intercooler of some sort

Feel free to add on if you feel like its necessary!

4. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    ok here we go.-turbo- god speed sells a t3 48 trim turbo for about 325.00 and comes with a warranty for what your building no sense in going ct20 or 26 besides t3 looks better its a little bigger but with a smaller turbo it will run out of breath at high engine speed and when your trying to out run someone you dont want to come up short.
    -blow off valve- its not mandatory that you have one but i can tell you from my wallet is that without one the boost goes back into the charger housing and fights against the turbine witch over time ruins the bearings and the shaft witch then it time for a new one on a cheap note boush im probably spelling it wrong but they make whats called a bypass valve its what they put on stock turbo setups for it to re circulate the boost but its alot cheaper then a B,O,V and you get the same effect and it serves a purpose -fuel regulator- if you run only five pounds of boost then your fine with the factory mechanical fuel pump you could probably push it up to seven with this setup but keep in mind with this mechanical setup the higher the boost the leaner you'll get and you don't want that if you want to go hire then that then its time to buy an electric fuel pump bigger fuel line and a rising rate regulator when you go higher boost you need the regulator to over compensate for the higher pressure and volume of air going through the carb if the air pressure gets higher then the fuel pressure it will force the fuel back out of the fuel bowl when it comes to boosting a carb you want to be one pound greater on fuel over boost so for example if im running 10 pounds of boost i need to have eleven pounds of fuel pressure that's why it has to be a rising rate regulator so that when you plug the vacuum line into you intake manifold it reads the positive boost pressure and raises the fuel pressure to accommodate the fuel bowl floats to stay open aeromotive sells one that is great for the job there's others out there so you can take your pick just make sure it has a place to put a gauge so you can monitor your fuel pressure for tuning -manifold- not much help there are do it yourself kits from LCE i think they still carry them but there are a few companies out there but there not cheap that's the most costly part i would look for a used one ask here on the site im sure someone has one sitting around its the same as the 22r i had a 20r head on my last motor loved it-intake-this take some fabricating i know that there was a carb hat for the aisin carbs that came out for the earlier r series motors for celica's other then that i would recommend you getting another breather base for whatever carb your planning on using and start grafting a plenum you don't have to put the carb in a box system just need a carb hat or plenum if you decide to do the adapter plate and put a holly 350 on it that would open the choices up more for plenums and all that good carb jazz like tunabilty and holly's can handle boost because they have nitrate floats in the bowls -inter-cooler- i have a front mount but its out of an s70 Volvo and it took alot of work to get it to fit behind my grill and bumper but if you want it to run good u need one hot boost is no go and also don't run cheap gas use 93 my truck goes no where on 87 also one thing you left out is ignition you will need to get a hotter coil otherwise you'll blow your spark out and don't run platinum plugs they can cause u do detonate let me know if i left anything unanswered.

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    my .02

$2k is the limit you want to spend on any 2xr. anymore then that will dissapoint you at the dyno.

realistic max power is like 150-70hp and 180-200tq for these motors going boost and not full retard internals. ive seen $5k 22r's put out 180 at the crank, its real hard to get to 200hp.

if i was you id find a 22re-t (factory turbo) then the only upgrades id do are:

mega squirt
    injectors
    turbo
    exhaust
    cam
    and maybe clean up the ports on the head.

bet with a lil patience you could do all that for less then $2k

or look at LC's supercharger setup, far cooler then a turbo and it runs a weber 32/36. and i know from personal experience it will spank a datsun L series and stick the nose of a 74 corona wagon up the butt of a KA, on stock internals. but it only lasted 1 year and ate the piston rings due to a clogged fuel filter.

like it was said above, if you want to know how to turbo you need read somewhere...

like here :cool: 22RTE-Trucks.com

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Nice info guys. Lotta good stuff there.

7. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Oh yea if you plan on doing a draw thru setup you can't run an intercooler or alot of piping it needs to make the shortest path to the intake manifold because you'll have gas in your pressure side and if it backfires that's a lot of gas and air in the system to go boom

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    When you say the supercharger only lasted a year and ate the rings, did it truly ruin the supercharger? I'm not gonna spend a lot of money jut to do it again in a year..

9. Sharwk

Sharwk Member

Truck:
    1975 HiLux
    22RE Supercharger or Turbo is my wishlist set up. Good information from this thread! Thanks for the posts.

10. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    If its true that you can run stock internals with a supercharger I'm changing the ways I want to go:D it looks a little easier to do, and no lag..

11. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Although superchargers are nice they don't have a lot of top end that's where turbo wins and it takes a big turbo and a lot of piping to have considerable lag that u would never notice that and I believe super chargers are a lot more money to setup

12. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    [​IMG]just found this on LCE thats the perfect platform to start building a plenum

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Lots of heat soak on blower motors a lot harder to cool the charge on a carbed blower either via meth injecting or water/meth ..the pricing starts to rise quick with used blowers still going for 2500 new forget it engine swap time

14. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Agreed on the engine swap part, but I'm looking for the "sh*t!! That's a 20r?!" Moment...

If I can't find forged pistons I'm not doing a turbo setup.. And so far I havnt been able to find any. Maybe I'm jut not looking hard enough or in the right places..

15. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    v8titan on here had a blow through setup on his truck for a while. seem to remember him having problems destroying pistons.

16. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    in my opinion if you don't have to deal with emissions just do a v8 swap. a little over 2k you could have a 1uz in the bay. even less for a chevy/ford etc. and way more power then the turboed 22r could dream of.

17. Turbo Blow Through

Truck:
    87 hilux
    That what I wanted to do instead of rebuilding my 22r just didn't have my home work done in time and needed my truck back up and running but my boy is doing a 1uz swap in a 240 so I'm just waiting for him to finish so I can copy his home work and maybe save a few bucks

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Engine swap sounds like a good plan, if that's what I wanted to do..

I'm fine spending more for getting less. If its what I want then I'm going to do it, call me stubborn.. It's like saying you want a Ferrari but you settle for a v8 swapped Kia. You may get more power, but it's still a Kia...

I also can't have my truck down for too long.. If I turbo or supercharge I can build most of it before I put it in, and it's a lot less to change.. If I changed to a different motor it would take me months to do it.. I can't have it down more then about a week.

19. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    LC has20r forged pistons and h beams for a grand
    Wiseco more than likely has 20r
    Maybe venolia might have them as well

You can use 9-1 compression forged pistons they don't have to be 8-1/2-to 1

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  20. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck: