Who said Turbo??

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by first80toyota, Jul 22, 2013.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So I'm strongly thinking about building a turbo'd 20R:D

But my problem is the lack of money and skill/ knowledge of turbos.. :cry:

What absolutely has to be done to put one on that won't blow up on the first run? Do I have to have forged internals, and a million dollar budget? Or can I run stock internals (mainly the crank) and just get lower compression pistons and make a manifold to put one on? I don't need massive boost, but need a little more speed and power:headbang:

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Stock compression ratio is actually close to turbo levels. It's 8.5:1 I think. A thicker head gasket would slim that down a hair if need be. The crank is forged but the pistons are cast. The stock 22r turbo exhaust manifold will fit, as will any 20/22r manifolds. Biggest hurtle to clear will be finding a turbo suited for the motor, and getting the carb tuned properly for it. Personally an all motor 20/22 would make plenty of power. They can hit 200 hp without boost.

3. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Turboing a carb seems difficult.

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    You can blow thru a carb or go under the carb.

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    U can use pressure plenum carb hats although I think pro charger and holly only have a few styles none for oem or webs .. Can always weld a hat up ...think turbo blow thru did this

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So all I need is a thicker head gasket and stronger rods to make it hold up? This sounds a whole lot easier and cheaper than I thought!!

I would probably do carb on top, unless a weber 32/36 could hold the pressure?? I'm not worried about tuning the carb, my bestfriends dad is a carb god! He fixes and tunes all my carbs, and hasn't let me down yet.

For those wondering why I want to turbo a 20R, I already have the block and new pistons and rings.. And I'm a cheap a$$ :D

What kinda numbers do you think I could achieve with a .020 over 20r, ported and polished with a decent turbo and as much boost as it can safely handle?

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Cheap ass and turbos don't mix lol

8. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    haven't meet a weber yet that liked being forced feed .. And the low fuel pressure webers like pretty much excludes them . Your going to need a rising rate fuel regulater to increase fuel as boost climbs and a weber might sheet itself ...turbo blow through can offer some insight on this as he is the only carbed turbo truck on here

If you have a new block throw a good flowing head and a cam and some used side drafts . X2 cheap and turbos equals tow truck

9. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Well not that cheap.... I just don't feel like spending more money when I can use what I have. I expect to spend up to $2000 for a decent, reliable setup.

I really want to know what kind of numbers I can get.

The big reasons for me wanting to do this is to beat my friends car and his dads truck. Both Datsuns with built motors and run low 17's in a quarter and are daily drivers. They also told me they know a guy who used to own a turbo'd Yota back in the day who beat everyone that tried.

10. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I'm trying to build this once and build it right. I'm not afraid of getting bruised knuckles and spending some time and money, but this won't be in a race truck (well maybe sometimes;) ) and I don't want it to be. I'm also just trying to find out what it needs to build one with a turbo, not what I could do instead. I understand there are other ways to get power, but I'm trying to learn and be somewhat different.

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    If youre shooting for that goal, an all motor setup will do you right. I probably have close to 2 grand into building my motor. 750 just in the bottom end on boring, pistons, parts, ect. Few hundred for ignition upgrades, a weber, porting the intake and adapter, ect. It adds up quickly.

12. standardbyker88

Truck:
    No offense to the site, its my #1 visited site. More than facebook and google lol. But you should probably brush up on turbo setups from some other sites. I don't know tons about them, but enough to know they get complicated fast. They also are more touchy to running lean than an all motor.

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    2 grand is a good start def get some arp head bolts But on another note 17.sec 1/4 miles built datsuns if that's what your trying to beat you can do that all motor high flow head aggressive cam and a holly 350 carb 4 into one header and 4-10 gears you'll smoke a Datsun But a turbo will do it to just gotta keep boost low proably looking around 130 -140 hp low boost lives long

Not dissin datsuns but 17-1/4 miles I've seen 3 legged turtles on Zanex run faster than that

14. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    2 grand just your motor? Not to be harsh but I hope your block is solid gold.. I built an entire motor, boring, pistons, rings, crank, porting and polishing, cam and probably more for about $750..

I just want to go turbo.

15. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    For a Datsun it's a lot.. It beats everyone off the line and half way down the track. He has 4.88's and chirps 4th gear, and daily drives on the freeway. What more could you ask? Sure it's not super fast, I've seen subies go 142mph in a 1/4

What do you consider low pressure? Im trying to do at most 10psi. But it would be awesome if it would do more!

16. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Spent about 300 for new pistons, moly rings, water pump, timing chain, oil pump, all the gaskets and crank bearings. From engnbldr. Spent about 300 to have the block bored out and the crank turned. Spent about 150 for the header, another 100 for the muffler and tubing. About 200 for an MSD coil, new cap/rotor, NGK plugs, Taylor 8mm wires. 120 for a new stock type distributor. 50 for a starter, 50 for an alternator and regulater, about 300 for the weber and 1 pc adapter, it all adds up fast. Add in all the gaskets, glue, oil and stuff and its near 2000 for everything to be brand new. Its been spread over a few years so its never been too big of a hit at once. Most expensive was when I swapped a 22R block under my stock 20R head.

I do plan to swap to ARP studs when I can afford it. Hopefully I can swap in a few months as long as everything holds til then.

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I ran an 18.1 on Zanex. But that was in vegas heat with only 2 legs. :ROFL:

18. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Maybe it helps I have friends with boxes and boxes of parts.. And a machine shop who has awesome prices.

It doesn't sound like I'll be spending a lot for a decent setup. I haven't looked at what turbos and accessories cost, but I'm estimating about $500 for just the motor insides including a decently worked head..

19. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    For a r series motor daily stock rods and pistons I'd say 5-8 psi . Depending on how hot the intake air charge . Is

2000 grand is a good start I got pretty much everything but side drafts for that amount so u can make a nice dent with that cash pretty sure you can get it running for that
    rods and pistons and pins cost 900 ring set was 150 head and cam 700
    Bearings and small stuff 250 1700 hundred maybe tad more ish on long block
    Built to mimic toys port score series motor

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Machine shop cost is one of the biggest of any motor. I think I got a good deal on all my bottom end parts. I ported my own intake and adapter. Most everything else was bought new. Except my most recent head, which cam with a cam and dual springs. Look up some of my videos on youtube, same name. You might be surprised what an all motor hilux can do. Some of my videos are the stock 20R, some are the hybrid either when I built it or recently when I rebuilt it. I'm always breaking stuff and fixing it, so some of the "when i changed this" info has gotten lost or mixed up in my head lol. Theres a few good videos tho.