Wheel size/offset for drag slicks

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Munimula, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Munimula

Munimula Newbie

Truck:
    88 Base 2wd
    Trying to figure out what size of wheel including width/offset i can fit under an 88 2wd with stock track with.

I still have the 2wd bed on it but as its heavily rusted out I'm going to switch it out to either a 4wd flared bed or flared bedsides only(stock or fiberglass).

Totally ok with staggered fitment. So skinny upfront. And the biggest i can fit outback. Probably et drag radials which come in quite a few sizes.

Thanks for your time peoples.

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    265/50/15's on 15x8's with 5" backspace fit perfectly with a 4x bed.

3. Munimula

Munimula Newbie

Truck:
    88 Base 2wd
    Thanks Trashy. Should have know you'd be on here. Just made this account.

5" Backspacing. Any offset?

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Pfft I have no idea. :lol: I put a straight edge across the back and it's 5" to the mounting surface and the wheels are 15x8's that's all I know.

I don't have a pic of them on my 84 x cab but here they are on the 89.

[​IMG]

Of course I'm on here. :lol: What are you building now (other than a second gen truck duh!) and what's under the hood?

5. Munimula

Munimula Newbie

Truck:
    88 Base 2wd
    It's my old 88 2wd. I bought it when I was 15. I dunno if you've seen that one or not. Looking at doing a full retard mode drag truck since I live 5 mins from the drag strip.

I've always wanted to do it. Just never got a chance.

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Oh yea I forgot you had that truck. Putting a small block in it or something more exotic? Factory 5 speed? If so you'll want to change that rear axle. I happen to know a guy with what you need... :lol:

7. Munimula

Munimula Newbie

Truck:
    88 Base 2wd
    The thought is stick one of my junkyard small blocks in it for this season. So stock 400 with aluminum heads probably only making like 260 hp or so. Get the body sorted out throughout the year since changing a fender won't take it out of commision.

Then do the back end suspension with a narrowed 9".

Currently in negotiation for a built to the hilt 400 with 9:1 compression. It was built for a procharger in the 1000hp range. It's about 440hp all motor. We had it in my buddies nova last season but without the forced induction it was a pig off the line and he hated it.

8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Right on but you didn't answer the important question about the current trans. If it's a 4 speed your current rear end will hold up to some serious shiat. If it's a 5 speed you'll blow it up.

Need a trans? My brother has a fresh th350 sitting on the shelf he built because he was bored and had the parts. :lol:

I have a 53" wide 8" toy axle with 4.10 and 4.56 diffs sitting here too. :D

9. Munimula

Munimula Newbie

Truck:
    88 Base 2wd
    it currently has a 4 speed in it. but when the SBC goes in the 22r(220k miles) and trans are going out.

How much do you think a 8" toy will take with sticky tires?

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Ever watched supra guys ripping off sub 10 second passes? They're mostly running the same ring & pinion just in an independent configuration. The really fast guys are all running narrowed 9's of course.

If you have a 4 speed that means you have an 8" diff with 30 spline axles. The 3rds are interchangeable with 4x4 so the tougher V6 3rd is a drop in.

You should pull your engine and trans soon, I need them for my samurai. :lol:

11. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    8" wheel with 5" back space should be about a +13 Offset.

12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Dumb question but how does that compute? I've never been able to get a solid explanation on the relationship between offset and backspace. I've always just figured it was the same thing with a different terminology.

13. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Strap in - you asked for it :D

For discussion purposes (and this is where I start when calculating between the two), let's start with a 15"X7" wheel. The diameter (15") doesn't matter for this discussion. A 15" X 7" wheel is 7" wide from bead to bead, measured inside the bead. GENERALLY, for most wheels, the inner and outer bead flanges are about 1/2" thick. Some may be a little thicker and some may be a little thinner. So, that 15X7 wheel is actually 8" wide, outside to outside. If it has a 0mm offset, then the hub face is exactly in the middle of the 8" outside to outside width. So, it it will have a 8"/2=4" backspace.

So the same applies to an 8" wheel. The actual outside to outside width is 9". Therefore, 0mm offset will be a 9"/2 = 4.5" backspace. If your wheel has a 5" backspace, then it is offset 5" - 4.5" = 0.5" = 13mm. If you find yourself trying to figure out offset vs. backspacing and get confused, just remember that a 7" wheel with 0mm offset has a 4" backspace.

Lastly, I said "about 13mm" in my post above because of the small variation in the bead flanges but it should usually be close enough. But if you are buying wheels that are within millimeters of rubbing somewhere, you should actually measure things out. But most wheels are only available in specific offsets and so your calculations will only need to be close to pick the closest available offset.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    So it's the same damned thing but offset takes bead thickness into consideration.

Thanks. :D

15. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

So... Max tire/wheel size is 15x8 with 5" b.s. With a 265/50-15?? Thats with a 4x bed. What will fit a 2wd bed? Mines in good shape. The truck will have rolled wheel lips. Can I pull the 2wd rear qtrs for more room? Whats max size???

16. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The 265's fit my 89 with the lips trimmed on the bed side. On the 84 with a 4x bed they clear the bed sides but require a 1/4" spacer to clear the leaf springs since the 84 axle is narrower than the later generation.

17. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

The lips on mine will be rolled or cut... Whichever works. Want to fit a 275/60-15 but dont see that happening. Hopefully I can fit a 255/60-15 m/t et street. I know for sure 235/60-15s will fit but I need as much rubber as I can get in the stock wheelwells as the time I'm done ill have 650+ rwhp... 1st thing that hits is the leaf spring correct? I'm not apposed to ditching the leaf springs and running a ladder bar set up. Just want to keep a stockish look with wheel wells full of the widest tire I can fit.

18. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Leaf springs and the frame are about even with each other.

19. Stangbanger1971

Stangbanger1971 Member

So... It looks like I basically need to roll/cut my wheel lips and measure... Sense I'm planning to use a 8.8" I think ill be stuck just getting my tires and wheels and cut my rear to match backspace specs.

20. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    keep us posted on the build! looking good so far.
    as far as offset and backspacing -the way i understand it -is that offset is the relation between the wheel center line and the back of the mounting surface. the backspace is how much room u got between the back of the mounting surface to the inside edge of the rim.
    positive offset means u got smaller lip of the rim, like most stock sedan style wheels. neg offset usually means a deeper "dish" wheel.
    backspace means how much wheel u can stuff under the fenders lol

rear diff.... maybe try swap a ford 9in from an explorer. i've heard a few guys have done it. prob gonna have to fab up mounts n whatnot but itll work. plus u get rear disc brakes and a bigger, stronger rear