What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 88Sandshark, Mar 21, 2009.

1. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Once in a while, two odd things seem to be happening with my truck...:shrug:
    1) when accelerating, I hear more like what seems to be, how can I describe it... fan sound than engine sound, it does change with RPM. No AC on, vent fan's off and my exhaust leak was supposedly patched when my head gasket and head were replaced.
    2) sometimes decellerating, I'm feeling a sort of rolling sensation braking in a straight line. Could it be bad shocks or screwed up alignment?
    If anyone knows what's up, please let me know so I don't royally screw my truck up.:confused:

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    is your rear end making noise? and what is the rolling sensation?

3. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Only once in a while it makes a small "boom" sound, not very loud, but still noticable, I thought that might have been the spare loose on the underside, but it's jacked up tight.

As for the rolling, it's hard to describe... when I am braking from higher speeds in Neutral (mine's MT), it feels somewhat like firm braking followed by soft braking and repeats with the same pedal pressure.

If my torsion bars weren't cranked up by the previous owner, I wouldn't have noticed so much.

Do you have any idea what that overpowering sound from the engine bay is?

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Could the fan sound be the clutched fan for the radiator? It will when warm, lock up the clutch and directly tie the fan speed to the RPM speed. When, it is sufficiently cool, it will slip and not make as much noise.

5. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Whoo hoo... one more of the three fan clutches I bought for it bites the dust.:rolleyes2: Anyone know where I could find a flex fan and end this annoyance. Driving home from work today, I did hear that thump coming from the rear. What does that signify? And that wierd braking sensation I'm having from the front? (as far as I can tell, it is the front causing that feeling):confused:

6. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    You can buy a flex fan at your local speed shop or online. They make fans that bolt onto the Toyota pulley.

Your brake problem is most likely the load proportioning valve on the left rear frame that senses the load in the bed or weight on the rear of the truck. Also by changing the torsion bars in the front you will effect the valve sensing in the rear. If the rod is bent or damaged or if the valve is stuck it will cause brake problems.

7. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Thanks, I'll look into that. We don't have any speed shops remotely close to Elsinore (that I or other auto parts stores here know of), but maybe my aunt & uncle's shop can help me with that. No lift kit on mine, still running the stock torsion bars, just need to lower them a bit because the original owner cranked them up causing little flex and an overly rough ride.