what to look for in 200k mile 93 4 cyl?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by moneyhungry, Jan 29, 2007.

1. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    i just got a 93 4 banger auto. it shifts great. has no power what so ever. didn't think that these things had much power to begin with. i got it to bag eventually down the road and to have as a daily for the time being. what are some things that i should look for? signs of unusual ware. anything like that. this trucks been taken care of and it been in the family since 96 or so. any help would be great.
    mike.

2. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    check if the timing chain has been done. Oh and swap out that auto.

3. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    yeah i knew about the timing chain. i'd like to switch out the auto for a standard, but im going to be bagging it later on down the road and i kinda like not haveing to shift. this is the only vehicle that i've owned that does not have a standard tranny. so it took some time to get used to. kept kicking the floor looking for the clutch.

4. tmisiak

tmisiak Newbie

It sounds to me you might look at getting a new cam, fuel injectors, if they come into play with this vehicle, and of course, timing chain. Best thing to do would be to run tests on it to see what is up.

5. Bakemono

Bakemono Newbie

Truck:
    '99 Ford F-150
    Other than the timing chain just check all the fluids and make sure it doesnt have any leaks, goes down the road straight and doesnt make a weird noises or have any vibrations when you are going down the road.
    Being that its a '93 Im guess it has a 22R-E engine. Those never did have much power and with an automatic its going to be even more gutless. I think 22R-Es only put out about 115 hp.

6. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I run the same setup from '94 and am also a bit dismayed at the apparent lack of power, but with bags in my near future, a standard is also not for me. I have however found a few tricks. Check all the standard things, air filter, plugs, wires, timing, ect. Then, think about one of the EFI power kits from LCEngineering or a similar kit. Also consider swapping gearsets in the rearend. I'm not too worried about fuel milage, so I geared down from a 3.73 to a 4.10. This made the tach at 70 go up about 200-300 rpm, but so far the milage is the same or real close and the low end power is there off the line. Also the lower gearset makes the tranny shift more firmly.

7. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    I thought they came with 4:10's? Or is that just the manual? I can't stand the auto I've driven a few and I don't know how you guys stand it!

8. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    My rear is a 3.73, there should be a tag on the axle that says what it is. The 4x4's came with mostly 4.10's with the occasional 3.90 and 4.30(I think.) Also the 95 4runner was available with a factory 4.88 oddball diff.

9. fintmica5spd

fintmica5spd Member

Truck:
    1993 xcab
    My 1993 has 380,572 miles on it and the engine, trans (5speed) and rear are all original. the truck was given to me with 323,000 on the clock and the first thing i noticed was a lack of power so the first thing i did was replace the fuel filter, switched to aftermarket intake and a 1982 supra mass air, deleted the converter and custom made a 2 1/2 exhaust. Then i bumped the ignition timing up a bit and switched to 93 octane. Now pulling hills in 5th is not as much of an issue. These things seemed to help a bit
    Even though the truck uses about 1 to 2 qts of oil every oil change and smokes enough leaving a stop light to put a mosquito control decal on the tailgate but it still has no problems pulling out into traffic:D

10. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    power

how much power you guys want out of 2.4 single cam?

11. Darrin87

Darrin87 Member

Truck:
    87 xcab long bed 22r
    just like everyone else said tune up timming chain, LC EFI kit..but the thing that help me the most is the black magic electric fan from flex-a-lite. The stock fan kills the power in these trucks, to much drag on the engine

12. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    8 million horsepower. That's how much I want.

13. TDS909

TDS909 Veteran

Truck:
    1992 st cab
    wow

yeah :rolleyes:

14. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    As much as I can freakin get!

I wanted 8 million too but now I want 8 million and 1...!

LOL!!!

15. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    damn i had forgotten about this tread. thanks the advise. im going to have to look into some off this stuff. i've cut open the airbox, and added a flowmaster. gave it a little more power, not much. what do you think it would cost to put in a 4.10 gear rear end?