Welder... what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by MTB68TOY, Aug 9, 2010.

1. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    I really need to get a new welder....

what do you guys suggest... My welding skills are limited so, I need something kinda idiot proof.:doah:

I've seen some miller migs that have pre-sets for the metal gauge, or is it worth the extra $$$ to get a tig??
    :shrug:

Help!

:confused:

THX!

2. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    It really depends on what all you plan to do with it. The MIGs are probably the most versatile with a limited skill set. You can do most anything automotive related with a Miller 175 or 180. If you were going to weld anything bigger than 3/8" single pass, you would want to jump up to a 250 amp model.

The different brand welders are all about the same, some people swear by a specific manufacturer, but unless there's one made here in the states, I'd get the one with the best deal.
    Just remember that the total cost will include a bottle with both MIG and TIG.

3. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I have a Lincoln 180. I bought it from lowes for like 750 an it's a 220v which I wanted. I've welded 1/4" with it an down to tail light buckets an roll pans

4. Poopy

Poopy Member

A 180 would be the smallest welder I would ever get. For automotive stuff they work great. I stepped up to a miller 251 and love it, it makes welding really easy.

5. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    I have a harbor fright tig for the house, its usefull, and i also have a miller dial arc HF for the shop, they are like oppiste ends of the tig spectrum.

I dont think you should limit your shopping to your current skills, i think you should get the walder you want to be skilled at in the future, not the skills you have now. you should look into some of the sub 1000$ tigs.

6. bodybagged

bodybagged Enthusiast

Truck:
    toyota clipped datsun
    i have a Lincoln from Home Depot the Lincoln 180 220v. so far ive done everything shy of building a frame but its coming. i just welded up a 2 link with 1/4 thick bars and still didnt need to put it on max settings and frames most frames wont be that thick anyways and never had an issue with the duty cycle. only problem is even when i have it turned all the way down for welding sheet metal it seems too hot still..but it works great.

7. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i use a lincoln 175 (from home depot), which has been replaced with the 180.

it's the smallest 220v machine you can get, and has worked well for frame and sheetmetal work.

it has 5 temp presets (the weld supply store version of the 175 was infinite temp adjustment, believe it's the 175sp), and infinite wire speed adjustment. i'd recommend staying away from any mig welder that has both preset amp and wire speed. chances are they won't work for every application that you want to use it on.

the smoothest mig welder i've ever used is the miller 252, but unless you're planning on welding 1/2" material it's overkill.

8. andysmiley17

andysmiley17 Veteran

Truck:
    82 Diesel
    a tig welder is definitely worth it if u can afford it and have the patience to learn it, it took me about 2 weeks about 8 hours a day to learn to tig and it was honestly one of the most frustrating things ive ever learned, but alot of people say u have alot more control with a tig and i definitely have to agree, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a nice little mig for now

9. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Ya the Lincoln from lowes is pretty good I have no complaints so far an I've done a notchback frame with it. Good welder for the price an the welding shop for the same thing I have wanted nearly $1000 for it an I paid like 750

10. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Got my Miller for $650...;) Can't speak for all of the lincolns, but the ones I looked at before purchasing the Miller had a "cheaper" looking feed roller set. Might work just as well, but that was the selling point for me on the Miller.

11. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    I bought the Miller 252 and it is my first welding machine. I think it is kinda overkill for building my frame but I looked at the duty cycle too when I was shopping for a machine. Apparently it has a 60% duty cyle at 200amps. That means I can weld for 6 mins and then let it cool for 4 mins. So I am not as worried about frying internal components with it.

12. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    Thanks guys for all the info! It really helps me make up my mind
    I was tempted to indulge in a tig
    But if the learning curve is that high... Then no

So I need a good mig...
    My current is a no gas 90amp 115volt piece o crap!
    The low setting doesn't work and I blow thru sheet metal with it...

I just need to mostly weld sheetmetal for body work
    I need to shop around... For some reason I'm leaning towards a miller...

Would like to spend under a G...

Keep up with the advice and tips guys...
    I've decided I really want to weld my project up myself so it's worth getting a quality welder!

13. yota4life

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    Go to lowes or home depot man.

14. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    don't feel bad leaning towards a miller. i prefer them over a lincoln, just the miller i wanted was out of the budget i was workin with when i was shoppin for one.

my work bought 2 new miller 180's that i installed longer cords on, and they honestly run way smoother then my lincoln 175. can also get it for well under 1k.

15. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    I think I'm going to look for the Miller 180...

Is it a 220?

I'll have to run an new outlet in the barn, glad I still have breaker space in the fuse box.

16. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    yeah it's 220

i don't think home depot or lowes sells any miller stuff, so you'll probably need to go to a real weld supply store, or find somewhere online. they sell for around $800 out here.

17. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:

go to a HD for the 220 line stuff
    get the welder online... (8

Does it have the round 220 plug on it? how long is the original cord, how long a cord did you add Bernie?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  18. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
  19. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    yep thats the one.

i seem to remember it being a 3 prong plug from the factory. it's been about 3 1/2 years.. lol

yeah you'll need and want a gas bottle. they come in a variety of sizes, but aren't very cheap. i got a fullsize bottle (for free :D), costs about $80 to fill it with 75/25 gas. the bottle would run between 250-300 for a fullsize.

20. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yeah the bottles aren't cheap. I have switched to an 80 cubic foot unit. Not sure its designation, but the large "K" bottles are something like 120 cu ft. I only use it for random projects and usually only have to fill it every 6 months or so. And for me, the 80 was a better size to fit on the Miller cart I got with it.

Don't be tempted to go too much smaller than the 80 though, as you'll end up running out on a sunday afternoon...