weird possibly vacuum issue?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by silkeepjs, May 12, 2013.

1. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single cab (Sold), 81 SR5
    while driving home last night, i encountered a new issue. I was playing cat & mouse with a Lexus SC300, on I-10 and everything was great. I was pushing my truck pretty hard, and well, my maneuverability was better than the Lexus driver cuz...i lost him. So, i decided to slow down to wait for him to catch up. when i pressed the brake, it went to the floor and took a second to actually react...that freaked me out so i quickly pumped it a couple times, and i was good. i ended up reaching my exit by the time the lexus cought up, so i flashed my hazards and he did as well, and we went about our business... getting to the stop light on my exit, everything worked properly, so i thought maybe it was fine, and maybe i imagined the braking issue...the light turned green, and i began to accelerate, at 2500 i went to shift to second and as soon as i disengaged the clutch, my RPM shot up to 3400...and every time i shift after that now it does this...not always 3400, but at least a 1000 RPM increase from when i decide to shift... and my brakes, they work, but not as good as they did before...now i have to press the brake at least half way in before i get a reaction...i was thinking maybe i cooked the fluid too much? but it'd be fine by now right? and now im thinking...putting both issues together, because they started at the same time...maybe my brake booster? idk...i havnt looked into it yet myself... if i find something before i get a response ill post an update...

2. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Its probly your brake booster. You probly got a leak in the boosters diaphragm or in the line leading to the booster. So now you don't have power brakes u have manual brakes so the pedal drops half way before it engaged the brakes and it takes a lot of leg strength to stop?

3. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Either way sounds like you have a vacuum leak

4. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    Yah more than normal pressure has to be applied. i cant find any vacuum leaks, but thats exactly what it sounds like... i seafoamed it today and found out i have a nice crack in my header too :/ anyways, normally when i seafoam a vehicle i disconnect the vacuum line connected to the brake booster and the idle surges until i begin pouring in the seafoam, then it boggs down...i've done this to many vehicles, and it always works the same...hoiwever today when i did it to my truck, as soon as i disconnected the line, my idle dropped to about 500, and it sounded like it was cammed...as soon as i started pouring in seafoam the idle jumped to about 3000 for 4 or 5 seconds before it began to bogg...so i do have issues...time to crack everything open...

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    booster

Whats happening is your brake fluid is getting pushed through the seal and into your brake booster and the rev and bog is caused by the fluid going through the booster and into your intake and being burned.You will probably see white smoke out the muffler if you look back there and have someone jam on your brakes.Check you fluid level.It might not be a bad booster but a bad master.Pull it off and I think you will see that its wet when it should be dry.

6. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    Ok, i'll give it a go tomorrow! :waytogo:

7. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    You should not have to crack open any lines on the brake system to check just open up those couple of clamps holding the brake lines to the firewall and take off those 4-12mm nuts holding the master and pull it off with out spilling it.

8. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    no wetness...i replaced it anyways since i had it off...problem still exists...i'll figure this one out =/ just gonna take me a bit...Finals week.

9. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    sorry brotha I meant for you to check it before you go and buy a new master.Did the level in the resevior drop any?5

10. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    My buddie had it brand new from when he had his 4runner, i gave him $10 for it..no big deal =P and yah it dropped...but not much at all

11. Malessohomegrown

Truck:
    Give everything a good inspection from the rear brake lines to the proportioning valve and up to the front breaks and all the lines.It's gotta be leaking somewhere.Maybe you did just burn some up that day.Give it a good bleed and see what happens.

12. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    found it....im gonna need some exhaust work lol. my muffler dumps right before the rear axle, in fact, i can barely fit a finger between the lip of the muffler and the axle... anyways, i got the muffler done before i lowered my truck, and didnt think about it when i dropped it...now my axle is almost DIRECTLY in front of my muffler tip, and the brake line + axle are being cooked!

13. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    :waytogo:

14. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck: