Weber Conversion Advice

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by NavyMC, May 22, 2012.

1. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Oldschool and Rink,
    THanks for sticking with me through this post. I disconnected the drive belt from the airpump and all hoses are capped and unplugged from the fuel canister. It started right up and sounds AWESOME! HOWEVER, I am getting hessitation with exceleration. I am taking a break as I have been working this thing since 0500 this morning. I at least gottit on the road to go get gas but it has no acceleration, it hessitates. This is what I think:

-its either to lean with the fuel mixture
    -the timing still needs tweeked (even though it is dead on right now) closer to 0 degrees instead of the 8 BTDC like the book says
    -the diaphram in the distributer is jacked up so I am chasing the idle/timing (although I do not believe that is the case, its possible though being 30+ years old)
    -I put the reducer "puk" between the carb and distributer to see if that had any effect on it, acts the same direct or with the factory reducer puk thingy installed

so I am not sure, the good news is that its running and one by one the variables are being eliminated. Thoughts?

OBTW, the fuel pump that I have in the tank just so happens to put out 3-3.5 PSI. The direct reading guage in the pic is so I can eliminate issues quickly. It all started with fuel tank sending unit. I can remove and replace a fuel tank in 10 minutes now!!!! I DID install a PSI regulator this morning after thinking about the advice in the weber manuals... I am pleased with the engine work and the looks of the engine bay, but this DAMN thing is starting to test my last nerve with the timing and acceleration gig!

r/

2. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Alright, the last bit of harassment to you experts... This is what I have noticed (not sure why it took this long) the timing reference marks are for a 22r series engine and so is the pully. This shouldn't make a difference if you know EXACTLY where TDC is set. So without going into a huge dissertation, it appears as if TDC was set to 8deg indicated. I checked this by pulling the #1 spark plug, valve cover, and rotating the engine by hand to get precise about it. So the initial setting (because I didn't know the machinist did this) were messing up the power and acceleration. NOW however, I am not to certain were to set the advance because of the marking differences between the 20r and 22r (the pully notch and the reference mark on the oil pump cover). Its a guessing game and cant wait til Teus to call the guy who rebuilt it and get some specifics from him. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as I get the power out of it. I have it adjusted so there is decent power until the second barrel of the weber opens and then it hessitates. I alos believe that the distributer needs replaced to better serve the new engine and weber that I put on it.

I am interested in other's thoughts about this specific posting. Am I on track here or WAY off base... Thoughts??? I would greatly appreciate it if someone had a picture of a stock 20R timing mark so I at least have a visual reference...

Cheers!

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Have you tried about six to eight degrees advanced on the timing .i found that most webers like to run a tad bit of advance ... I no mine does that and I also run a holly fuel presure regulator . I used to get a mean stumble . Before that . I run about 2.9 pounds fuel pressure that and following the weber tunning instructions is key cause right out of the box they are not tuned

4. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Thanks for all the advice!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    Engine compartment looks GREAT, NavyMC!!!

Rick

6. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    Yes! She is a beauty!!!!

[​IMG]

Thanks Rick, the only thing left in the engine bay to restore is the brake booster and the master. The engine became a big priority when she started blowing smoke. Now its all back together with the weber and runs incredible. I had a hard time with the timing but eventually got it all diald in and couldn't be happier with the truck and my Tundra will be happy with the break in daily driving!

CHeers!

7. Echonova

Echonova Newbie

[​IMG]

It's beautiful.

8. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    I really like seeing some of the "oldies" still on the road. You've done a nice job on yours. There is a brake booster kit listed in the Toyota parts catalog, but I doubt that it will be available. Maybe you can locate one in the aftermarket. The same goes with the brake master cylinder. Toyota uses Aisan as their vendor, so if you can locate an Aisan part then you'll have a correct & oem part.

Rick