Water pump.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by toy_boy, Mar 7, 2009.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    So very vital.

I'm sure at one time or another, whether it be a Toyota or something else you owned, you've had a water pump go out on you.

So, has anyone ever just replaced a waterpump because of mileage, and as a means of preventive maintenance?

We'll do the hoses, regularly. Others will even do the radiator, especially if it's a rusty original.

But what about the water pump?

Or.......does everyone just ride it out, regardless of what's on the odometer and deal with replacing the pump when something in the vicinity (head gasket, timing chain, front seal) needs attention?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    I always replace the water pump if I am doing the timing.. so about every 80 - 100k on a yota

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    honestly bro, with these motors I personally wouldnt fix it unless its broken... but of course do tune up the little details that it needs though.. but when you do have something chit on you.. replace EVERYTHING... then you know what it needs and doesnt need...

4. MacRib

MacRib Enthusiast

Truck:
    90 4runner, 94 standard cab, 90 standard cab STOLEN
    When the pump goes, it's gonna let you know. If it's the seal in the pump going bad, coolant/water will leak out of the little weep hole on the bottom of the pump. If it's the bearing in the pump going bad, then you can hear a hollow grinding sound coming from the pump, or even worse, the fan blade and fan clutch will wobble. Other than that, I agree with V8, if it aint broke... don't fix it.

5. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    ive personally always replaced them if they have any noise or slop in them by moving the pulley. or if they dont seem to let the motor run cool enough. hell, its like 30 bucks. id rather change it on a whim every few years than be stuck on the side of the highway.