Water leak from engine block

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by SBKToy86, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SBKToy86

SBKToy86 Newbie

Truck:
    1986 2WD Longbed
    So today I just started up my pickup, but the thing is, not even 30 minutes into my drive I noticed the temp rising. I opened the hood and steam came out from all over, mostly on the left hand side from above the starter. I let it cool down and refilled it with water (before wasting more antifreeze) and noticed a pinhole leak from what seems to be the block. It streamed down onto the starter itself, and can't really see where the leak is coming from, but I'm definitely sure that it's from there. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix it? I was going over the threads and noticed something about "freeze plugs" or gaskets, or something along those lines. Thanks beforehand!

2. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    maybe your freeze plug busted or something....

3. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    try check the rubber hose under the intake manifold, its common when those leak, or if not the freeze plug. check thre color of the coolant if its rusty mostlikely its all corroded inside.

4. SBKToy86

SBKToy86 Newbie

Truck:
    1986 2WD Longbed
    Well it seems that it is a freeze plug. I found the leak by touch and it stopped when I placed my finger against it. I called autozone to find out if they had them in stock, and they do! :meemee: they're only $0.99 but... I have no clue on how to replaced it. I cleaned the area today and removed the starter, so now I am on my way to purchase it. Any suggestions on how it should be removed and installed? Greatly appreciate the input guys!

5. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    Ok the easiest way I can tell you is like this. Your gonna want to drain all the coolant out of it. Then get you a decent length punch, not one with a sharp end. Take the punch and a hammer and hit it from a corner. What you want to do is knock a one side out your doing this so you can get a set of pliers or vise grips to pull it out the block. Now it is gonna leak out some more so don't be surprised when more coolant and water comes out. Next I was always told to get some sealant the stuff I always used was Gen 2 Mopar sealant, but you can get other kinds. When you get the freeze plug from Autozone make sure you get some kind of sealant, they should know what you mean when you ask for it. Now for the install this can be frustating being your first time I just say take your time don't rush. Ok for the install your gonna need I suggest a socket a deep one and that hammer. Put some sealant around the outside of the plug and try to situate the freeze plug in the hole. Take the hammer and the socket and gingerly tap the plug into the block. Try not to go to far or you will have to pull the plug out and start over. I hope his helps I havent put one in in a little while but they aren't to hard to do once you get the hang of it. Like I said I hope this helps if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me a pm. Good Luck