Wants to stall

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by dw8, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dw8

dw8 Newbie

Truck:
    89 xcab
    The truck has been acting a little weird lately after I start it and drive it a little ways. When I come to a stop, the truck feels like it is going to stall. If I rev it up, the problem goes away until I start it up again. If after I start the truck and I don't stop anywhere, the truck will backfire once when I am gearing down. It only does it once and then it is fine. My truck has the 22R. Any thoughts?

2. Spyder041

Spyder041 Member

Truck:
    89 4runner
    replace your fuel filter

3. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    is it getting horrible gas milage? my gas milage hasw gone way down the hill and I don't know why. my exhaust broke below the manifold so I put a header on it and ever since the gas milage has been horrible. So I then put a new 02 sensor in it and it still hasn't solved the problem. I'm thinking part of the reason might be because my intake pipe is messed up so I just bought a cold air intake to go on it so maybe that will help.. I've done a tune up on it a few months back and I also put a new coil on it because my other one was shot. when I get the Cold air intake on I'll tell you if it helps. But I would definately see if you have any air leaks.

4. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    I think he has a carb... right dw8?

The header should have made your mileage better... mine did. and if you leaking air into the intake after the AFM you should run lean not rich thus less gas usage not more and closer to detonation. My old 91's mileage went way down before I parked it and a few months later when running it just so it wasn't just sitting I found out the real problem was the fuel line was rusting out on top of the tank and pissin fuel all over the ground... check for a fuel leak...

As far as the owner of this thread... the fuel filter is good advice and a basic tune up which includes tuning the carb may be in order...

Good luck guys!

My mileage sucks on my 87 4x4 too... but fortunately and unfortunately... it's because of the turbo...

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    do you have a exhaust leak?

if no then i blame the vacume system:p

inspect/replace ALL your vac lines one at a time. and check your intake for leaks.

carb clean is your new best friend:D

6. dw8

dw8 Newbie

Truck:
    89 xcab
    Yes, my truck is carbed. I noticed recently that if I let the truck try to stall when it acts up, it won't. It's like the truck falls flat on its face for 3 seconds and then the idle comes back and all is well.

The truck doesn't sound like it has an exhaust leak. But when it backfires, it shouds like it is leaking through the muffler area.

7. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    try putting some carb cleaner threw it... also, have u done a recent tune up? when does it do it, first crank up, cold or when the motor is hot? im trying to think of what it could be..

8. dw8

dw8 Newbie

Truck:
    89 xcab
    The only thing that hasn't been replaced under the hood is the distributor cap/rotor. It does this only when it is cold. And will only do it once. When it warms up, it will not do it again.

9. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    There's a tube from the air tube between the air flow meter & carb,throttle body, it goes to the Resonator,a round canister at the passenger side of the engine. If that is lose or off the engine wants to kill & can cause a backfire!!
    As for the header, loss of mileage. If you have a EFI engine, & the 02 sensor :cool: is bad it can cause this!

10. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    I just put a new o2 sensor in mine and it's still running like ****. Like just a while ago I went into town came back to the shop, the truck sat about 30-45 minutes and when I started it up again it started sputtering and was wanting to stall. so when I got to the house (which is right beside the shop) it just stalled right in the driveway. it's fine as long as I keep my foot on the gas but if I take my foot off the pedal it starts sputtering. This is very aggravating!:mad:

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    the only thing i can think of that is doing this is not getting fuel..do u smell gas when it stalls?

12. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    haven't really paid attention. But I dunno why it wouldn't be getting fuel. I replaced my fuel pump like 2 months ago and I my fuel filter probably 6 months ago. Maybe I'll try another filter. i just spent 2 grand on my stuff to bag it. This truck is gonna break me

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    do u have teh stock carb on it still? if anything try adjusting the idle screw and/or the fuel screw...that might help

14. dw8

dw8 Newbie

Truck:
    89 xcab
    Somehow you managed to blur the lines between carbed and fuel injection. I have a carbed truck. No air tube or air meter. Lol.

15. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Seth/Twisted Mini's just posted on Street Source having the same kind of problem. Said he got the fuel feed & output lines reversed ( labeled wrong)!
    If you have had these lines off try reversing them!

16. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    dw8- i know you said "the only thing not new under the hood..." does that include the vac lines?

ALL the lines should be snug on the fittings, meaning a lil bit of work should be required to pull em off, they should not just slip off.

inspect your exhaust for leaks, if its been awhile there will be a black carbon build up where it is leaking.

back firing is either timing or a exhaust leak period.

the falling on its face when returning to idle makes me thing its a timing and vacume thing, it could be that your vac advance is not receiving enuff signal (vac pressure) to function correctly due to a clogged or leaking line.

start your car and let it warm up till the idle drops.
    where is it idling ? (rpm)
    now take a can of carb clean and spray all the vac fittings some what methodicly if RPM's increase you have found a leak. dont forget to hit the base of the carb and intake gasket.

17. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Newbie

Truck:
    1992 2wd reg,cab
    listen you need to stop driving it right now!!
    seriously
    because what u have is a small problem that in a short time leads to a VERY BIG ONE!!
    all these other guys are wrong trust me
    well u probably drive pretty fast normally right
    yeah me too
    and have u had to go really slow for a long period of time
    due to the icey roads
    well im almost more than positive that you have a leak in yur head gasket
    so stop driving it and fix it before its too late
    cus i just ignored the same symptoms yur having and then finally it stalled on me
    so then i look under the hood only to discover a very unpleasant oil and water mixture pouring out of my cold air intake filter so yeah
    trust me on this one
    im havin to pay like $600 to get it fixed right now