Want to swap 22re for bad 3vz possible?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Mayapple, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Mayapple

Mayapple Newbie

Truck:
    '87 & '89 4-Runners
    I'm leaking oil from pan and rear main seal on my 89 4 runner with a 3VZE engine w/ automatic trans. The 3VZE never has measured up to the 22re in my 87 4-runner w/5-speed manual. I'd really like to swap out the bad 3VZE for a better, cheaper, more available 22re. Any advice appreciated on whether 22re would bolt to the automatic trans, or if I swapped the trans as well would my current rear end work. I'm guessing computer components would have to switch as well. THANKS!!! for any help.

2. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    I do know that if you go with the 22RE swap then your going to have to change the transmission & computer. As for the rear axle then Im not 100% sure on that. Youll also have the swap out the driveshaft as well & I think the
    rear bolt holes are all the same on the Toyota trucks so it should just bolt right up assuming you get the right driveshaft cause the automatic & straight driveshafts are different lenghts!

3. grounds671

grounds671 Veteran

Truck:
    1995 pickup std

yea your current rearend will work. the drive shaft might be different also. If i was you just replace the seal and gasket. if your gonna convert from a v6 to a 4 banger it might not turn out the way you like it. BUT it might because if im not mistaken the V6 3vze motor equipt with a AUTO tranny has a 4:56 gear ratio that will match good with that 22re motor but then again i cannot be sure.

4. Mayapple

Mayapple Newbie

Truck:
    '87 & '89 4-Runners
    Thanks for the info, I've now found out there is a pinhole leak in thew gas tank as well. I'll try to look up specs on gear ratio for tranny. Anyone has suggestions on fixing or replacing tank or anything else much appreciated. I love these old 4 runners and want to keep her going but my wife is becoming less convinced THANKS!

5. Mayapple

Mayapple Newbie

Truck:
    '87 & '89 4-Runners
    will 86 truck tank fit 89 4 runner??

hey I've found a tank from an 86 4x4 short bed toyota truck. Anyone know if that tank will fit for my 89 4 runner?? THANKS!

6. grounds671

grounds671 Veteran

Truck:
    1995 pickup std
    man beats me. good question.:confused:

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    search www.pirate4x4.com

the swap has been documented over there more then a few times.

mostly its just changing the frame eng mount brackets and harness, everything else bolts up.

we are in the process of doing that to my friends moms 89 4rnr. its been a 4yr process so far, but its a extreme back burner build. no hurry but it will get done some day, we kinda shifted gears in the middle and now we're doing a SAS at the same time.

fun:D

8. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

3vz to 22re swap

buy 4runner equipped with 22re. around here u can get one running for 1500.
    the cost of rounding up all the needed parts to do so isn't worth it. ask me how I know lol.

9. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    how do you know? lol

10. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

RE: 22re for bad 3vz

yeah I know it's an old thread.

11. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

RE: crappy v6 22re swap

wooh hoo.

I found some people as dumb or smart as me. u couldn't pay me to go through this again. lol.

if you must. u would need wiring harness from 22re and comp. complete intake and exhaust from the same. d shaft from the v crap will work. Depends on if you weld the engine mounts dead on. fuel lines from v6 is okay. gas tank from v6. fuel pump from v6. tranny cross member from 4 cyl. instrument cluster from v6 auto is okay, but u need to move one or two wires over. it was fun but burned a hole in my pocket. I knew it would only be a matter of time with this economy. lol good luck.

12. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

swap 22re for bad 3vz

Sorry guys, don't mean to bring a dead subject to life.

the 3vz is just so annoying. head gasket this. blown that.

but I'd still drive it the way it was. my point was two much work and too much money. not dauging the 22r either.

wooh hoo. don't kill the messenger.

13. a_manwowzers

a_manwowzers Newbie

I'm low on funs man wowzers great info. nice to know. good for you.

14. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

Just look for some one who doesn't know or doesn't care and sells their crashed vehicle for cheap. You could go to a local self service junk yard pull it from there. Whatever you do, get the wiring and computer from the same doner vehicle and you should be alright. The accessories should be okay if you pull them from the same erra 22re.

15. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

What's wrong with a gaping hole in your shift location? Don't patch it up; atleast you'll get some air coming through in the warm season. LOL...

16. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

Wow, I got bored and looked up on the about swapping out the problematic v6 for the 22re and there are a bunch of people doing this now. LOL... Where are these people back in 05" when I needed pics on engine mount weld location. There's even ones with pics on progress. People, we all have money, a little more, a little less. I sold cans to be this rich. LOL... Sorry, I stumbled on to someone and and he said he has money and to trust him. Good for you

17. davalley321

davalley321 Newbie

People, I don't know if anyone is really serious about this swap, but if your are; Get wiring harness and ecu from the same year and its pretty much plug and play. Wink, wink! There are so many people with inquiries and no one answers from so many sights. If you stumbled on this sight by accident, read the first log on the second page and it pretty much sums it up. If ur in calif get stuff from the same year or later if you want to pass smog. wink, wink. I'm rick james goof ball. LoL.