Wacky! Brake Lights Come On Only When Turn Signal Engaged

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Lostandconfused, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Lostandconfused

Lostandconfused Member

It's a 1974 SR5 that I really want to finish off.
    It runs, but the electrical isn't right....
    Any thoughts on what to do and the way to do it is appreciated.

Here's a break-down:

* Turn on headlights
    ---> Front running lights ( both driver & passenger ) turn on
    ---> No rear running lights

* Turn on hazard
    ---> No blinking
    ---> Front running lights ( both driver & passenger ) turn on
    ---> No rear running lights

* Brakes Lights ( sort of .... )
    ---> Turn on hazard: no brake lights (when brake pedal is pressed down)
    ---> Turn on head lights: no brake lights (when brake pedal is pressed down)
    ---> Turn on left turn signal: brake lights (when brake pedal is pressed down)
    ---> Turn on right turn signal: no brake lights (when brake pedal is pressed down)

And there isn't any blinking on hazard or turn signals ever.

What to do?
    How to do it?:shrug:

2. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    Is this a truck you recently acquired or one that is in the final stage of a complete tear down and you're now in the reassembly stage? Did everything work before now? Have you checked the fuses and relays for the running lights and brake lights? (I know it sounds elementary but just have to ask.) Have you tried a new hazard light relay? Let us know the answers and maybe we can help you further troubleshoot the problems.

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    it's probably your flasher relay. it's mounted up high on the firewall between the steering column and the center of the truck. it's a decent size box.

also on my 73 i was having some tail light issues. the problem was that the lights ground thru the mounting bolts. there is a metal strip from the bolt to the light socket. mine were corroded and killing the ground. i had to pop out each light socket and clean the socket and strip, then put em back together. that helped a lot.

4. Lostandconfused

Lostandconfused Member

Very good questions.
    I should have made these point earlier.

This truck was about to become melted slag when I got it out of the mountains.
    It had been there for at least a decade. Full of moss and crud.
    Nothing worked. Been slowly working on it. It now runs.
    But the electrical has always been wacky.

Replaced all the fuses. Replaced all the bulbs. Swapped out the headlight relay. Tightned the running light screw for a firm ground.

I have NOT replaced the brake pedal relay or the hazard relay.
    I'll try that next.
    Process of elimination will bring this part of the problem to an end,

Thanks for all the help
    [
    QUOTE=mprtftr;165724]Is this a truck you recently acquired or one that is in the final stage of a complete tear down and you're now in the reassembly stage? Did everything work before now? Have you checked the fuses and relays for the running lights and brake lights? (I know it sounds elementary but just have to ask.) Have you tried a new hazard light relay? Let us know the answers and maybe we can help you further troubleshoot the problems.[/QUOTE]

5. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

I something similar to what your having I have to check on my wiring going to Taillights I had a blowout and the steel belt from the tire hit and cut my wiring so just make sure all the wiring is intact check from under the hood from passenger side all the way to the tail lights and clean up all connection and redo if its been spliced before