Violent Shaking

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Popeye, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Popeye

Popeye Newbie

So I just got my first Yota truck, an 88 4X4. It runs great, but every now and then it gets to shaking violently from side to side when I get to 3rd or 4th gear. I googled the problem before I found this site, but the difference is mine only does it sometimes. If I drive it 10 times, it might do it once or twice. When it starts shaking, I have to pull over and start back from 1st. It's got 33 inch tires on it and it pulls a little to the left but I don't think it is a tire or alignment problem because it drives fine 90% of the time. That's what has me confused.

Thanks for any help ya'll can offer! If you need more info, please let me know.

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    First I would check rims and tires first just to make sure
    Then possible driveshaft problems bent or unbalanced but what your describing side to side motion leads me to think its in the front end reaching certain gear or speed a tire as big and as heavy as a 33 can pic up some serious vibration/momentum I would also inspect your front axles and all 4x4 related parts up front . Depending on the previous owners offload habits the front suspension and alignment should be inspected for loose or worn out parts

3. Popeye

Popeye Newbie

I appreciate you taking the time to answer. A lot of what you said had crossed my mind, but the fact that it is only happening about 10% of the time has me confused. Sometimes I go through the sequence and it is fine, but then it will shake sometimes. I was thinking about changing tires anyways, but man them 33's look good lol.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    What do you mean by shaking exactly? Is it in the steering wheel? I mean, does the steering wheel shake with the truck? If so, you may have a case of the death shake, or speed wobbles.
    Either way, we need more info about when it happens. How fast, what conditions, is there a lift kit of any type installed?

5. Kahuna

Kahuna Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    I had the same thing happen to me in my dodge ram 4x4....turns out the driver side half shaft would un-seat it's self (pull away from the hub) at certain speeds...How i found out was, I just layed under the truck and push/pulled on everything!!!!! It was just a 5 dollar c clip that had broken.

6. Popeye

Popeye Newbie

Yea, I was a little vague in the description. I have to find out more before I can be more specific. I'm just ignorant when it comes to 4x4 trucks and all that. I've always had old stock Chevy C10's. I will say that I can feel it starting in 3rd and then when I get into 4th it is bad. Probably around 40 mph, but I don't know if it will quit because it is so bad I have to stop. I know I keep saying it, but I don't understand why it only happens sometimes. If it was tires or alignment or something it seems like it would be all the time. I will say I'm not the greatest driving a standard so I thought I was doing something wrong like missing a gear or something but I'm not.

Thank you all for your input and advice- I really appreciate it. It will be next weekend before I can fool with it. My teaching/coaching duties and my own two kids keep me pretty tied up during the week.

7. Popeye

Popeye Newbie

I have narrowed it down to it being caused by hitting bumps. If the bump is angled or only one tire goes over it then that is when it starts. If I'm hitting stuff straight on, like a speed bump then it doesn't do it. Speed is not a factor. Sometimes I can hit another bump and it will stop.

Somebody told me it was my tie rods and I do see a gap in my ball joints.

I hope this helps some.

8. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    does it pull the steering wheel towards the side that's hitting the bump? That would most likely be the tie rods.You would also have a lot of play in the steering wheel..Just go down and look at the whole front end.Have some one turn the wheel left to right as you look at it.Look for play ,worn bushings,loose castle nuts all that.Also take a look in the back and make sure the u-bolts on the rear end aren't loose.I had a scary death wobble on Pathfinder I used to own it was the sway bar.

9. Popeye

Popeye Newbie

I got the mechanic on my brother's oil rig to look at the truck this morning and he said it was the idler arm. So, I dropped $40 on a new one and will install it tomorrow after work. Hopefully that will fix it, but things are hardly ever that simple lol. Thank ya'll for the help. If this don't work I will go through the suggestions you guys have given me.

Thanks.