v8 2wd engine mount conversion

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by thundering02, Jun 17, 2010.

1. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Every documented swap that I have been finding on the net for the last week or so has been using the Downey engine mounts.

Downey went out of business more than 6 months ago.

Now advance adapters and northwest off road (nwor) Both label theirs as a 4wd model. whether being for the IFS or Solid front axle. also not finding much outside of them.

I just need to know if either of these has been used on a 2wd or if the chassis is close enough that it would work, as neither is able to tell me anything other than we only know 4x4. ( same engine mounts on 2wd as 4wd?)

BTW 350 chevy engine and the 85 ifs 1 ton are my combination.

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I called em a while ago (NWOR) about engine mounts. 302 ford to 22R mounts.

Right about 200 bucks, nobody there seen one put in a 2wd. So they said they would like pics after its done.

As far as I can tell, 2wd and 4wd mounts are the same. The difference is the front diff/axle on the 4wd, requiring a special pan.

v6 and 22R frame perches are different.

3. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Good info on the diff/oil pan I was going to figure that out once I had the engine basically sitting in the bay.

And there will be picks when I'm done with this one.

Anybody else know if 2wd and 4wd are the same for the 22r([t]e)?

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    hm...wonder if they make a kit for the 73....

5. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    From what I have seen before on yotas, is that the mounts are the same for 22R of either 4wd or 2wd. 2wd they would have to give advise about steering and crossmember fitment. It could just be something so they have no issues with 2wd guys saying some random use of them made a problem. I was looking into their stuff too.

As for a kit for the 73, if the frame side looks like that of a 20r truck of the same era, I would say yes. Might still have firewall issues with swaps though since the bay is so small.

6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    302 is gunna fit better then a 350 because it is narrower. About pan clearance ? I dont know.

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    i had to make mounts to drop my 22r into it. it came with an 18r so im not 100% if the mounts on the frame are the same. Ya the 22r barely fit into the bay, my water pump is less then half an inch from my rad fan ( had to run the smallest electric i could find ) but surprisingly i have more room at the firewall then stock. I keep tossing the idea around of a v8 in this truck...maybe one day

8. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Yes the 302 is skinnier ... but the chevy has the oil pan in the back instead of the front which works better for us. Distributor and transmission tunnel are really the only concerns fitment wise and even then a good hammer will probably take care of most of that.

9. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    well the 350 swap has been done time and time before. I would do it if I found a running one with a 5speed.

10. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I dont think anything but maybe a corvette had a 350 5 speed. And I have yet to see a TPI or crossfire corvette with a manual.

305 camaros/firebirds had T-5's
    350 Camaros/firebirds only had autos.

GM knew that the T5 would grenade behind a 350. Now thats not to say you cant do it, but dont expect one to last.

The camaros/f-birds had a hydralic clutch = very easy to put in a truck.

Mustang T5s have a cable clutch. I have to buy a 200 dollar hydralic throw out bearing when I put mine together. :puke:

Now its a compleatly different story if you go out and buy a new Tremec tranny or something. But your gunna spend the money. Just look around to see if a LT1 camaro six speed can be mounted to a gen 1 SBC. That would be sweeeet! They are very very similar motors. who knows. :shrug:

11. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I heard the 6 speed is a direct fit from a friend with a ls2 impala

12. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

350 Camaros/firebirds only had autos.
    And I have yet to see a TPI or crossfire corvette with a manual.

You seriously think that? I know the manuals are dwindling but to say that none had em, wow.

13. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    :D

Yup.

V8 Titan- The oil sump for a small block ford needs to be from a fox body. Like a 86-95 mustang gt would be perfect.

They are dual sump. So the crossmember brace would go right inbetween the two "humps" of the pan. Im 90% sure it will fit perfect. The front sump (vintage style mustang) seems to big and looks like it would hit steering components. :waytogo:

Ive got a T5 and a W58 side by side at home. Ill see which ones bigger/longer.

14. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Sweet thanks.

15. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    I did a 302 / T5 swap into a '72 240z, which has the same hydrolic setup as the trucks. I used a pulling slave cylinder that cost me I think around $50. I think it was a Tilton cylinder. Was a long time ago (about '01) so I don't remember 100%, I just remember getting it from a VW shop of all places! It worked great, even handling the Centerforce clutch I put in.

I've thought about doing a 4.3 Vortec swap since even a mild 4.3 would smoke the stock 20R and still keep the trans together... but that's some $$$$. Plus I'm sure my gas mileage wouldn't be anywhere near 25. :evil:

16. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Did a little research for anyone who is even interested...

A LT1 camaro/firebird 6 speed tranny bolts strait to a gen 1 SBC thats 87+. That would be nasty in a yota with 4.10's+ and probably pull 20 or so mpgs.

T5 vs. W58 pics up tomorrow :waytogo:

17. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ive heard of putting w58's on v8's before. they should be able to handle it as long as you are not doing anything stupid wth them

18. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

yeah.... not with this..

500ish hp?

350 bored 30 over,12.5-1 comp pistons (keith black) summit stage two rods with arp rodbolts,clevite race bearings, crane solid roller cam 110 lobe seperation, .63 lift, intake and exhaust, chevy double hump heads with screw in studs, large dual valve springs, the intake is a victor 4+4 crane gold roller rockers, crane retrofit solid roller lifters, crane stud girdle, the block has oil restrictors installed. chrome cheverlet valve covers, stock alternator with new chrome alt brackets, newer stock short waterpump, high volume high pressure oil pump(holds 60psi oil pressure when wrmed up)

find a trans, motor mounts, probably a radiator, driveshaft custom, few positive and negatives hooked up... and then the interesting will be the speedo.

19. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Well here ya go. Thats a SBF bell I had laying around I slapped onto a chevy t5 I had. Purely for the photo op.

The t5 is bigger, heavier, and longer. I would guess a shifter would move back 3-4 inches if you did a v8 5 speed swap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    so did you ever find a mount manufacturer to bolt the engine in? i'm planning to put a 350 in my 86 2wd, i'm thinking the nwor mounts will work though.