Unrelated or not - you decide

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by OJ's DNA, Apr 6, 2009.

1. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

This weekend I needed to adjut my idle as I just got the a/c repaired and with the a/c turned on the idle was a little low. Anyway I adjusted the screw on the carb clockwise until she was running a little higher (of course I don't have a tach so its by feel only) and all was good.

Today I got in for a quick drive to work on a cool morning and she felt good, almost a little quicker, stronger - I reasoned that I now had some fuel in the carb and that I wasn't 'starving' her for fuel so all was good.

Then I noticed that the temp guage was in the middle, looking like it wanted to climb up a little higher even. The reason I'm bringing this up is that she has always run real cool - temp guage has never even been in the middle with this truck, and I didn't have the a/c on.

My question is, could my idle sdjustment have caused her to run hotter? I know it seems unrelated but its to much of a coincidence for me to ignore. Anyway thanks for the feedback

OJ

2. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Wow that's weird, wish I could help you. My guess would be that it's unrelated but I stress that I'm guessing. I would definately keep an eye on the temp for the next little while that's for sure.

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    if you havent installed a precise aftermarket gauge, now would be a good time to do so..... i say it may be related. with all the emissions stuff going on you never know what that adjustment did to the rest of the emissions sytem and such.......

like i said, install a gauge. prefferably an auto meter :waytogo:

4. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Not trying to sound like a dick but did you check the coolant?

5. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

Haaa, yeah man it's all good - and sometimes we do forget the little things, yes I checked the coolant. It was slightly low so I filled it back up but this morning same thing, temp guage ran straight to the middle on a nice cool morning. I'll swap out the thermostat this weekend - anyone know of a t-stat that opens up at a lower temp than standard oe ones?

6. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine

Yeah I know sometimes the little things will sneek past you.

7. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i run a 180* thermostat in mine.... makes a bit of a difference. :waytogo:

also...... might want to check into your coolant temp sensor..... may have bumped a wire or something.

8. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    sounds exactly like my truck. i always ran cool when i didnt have AC it never even reached over 1/4 of my temp. majority of my friends say it's because i need a new condensier, but why do i need a new condensier when it already blows cold. i think our compressor make the motor have stress because now it has to spin another component. i recently did a full tune up on my truck and my temp still reaches half, even with the brand new coolant and i also did a radiator flush. my idle drops when i turn on my compressor i usually idle at just below the 1 but when i turn on my compressor it drops maybe half way, when i shift i need to be precisis or it jerks because the carb isnt getting enough gas. i say it normal that it does thoses things. hoped that helped.

9. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    it should have an idle control valve for the a/c when it comes on. FOKAI's new truck is like that and that was one of the first things i checked when he came over.... it will automatically kick the rpm's higher (about 200 rpm's) when the compressor comes on. look for it on a toyota FSM...... it may be disconnected or the valve itself may be bad......

10. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    When my AC did work, I noticed the RPM drop in my EFI too. Erractic shifting anyway due to a bad clutch, but double clutch technique seems to smooth it out. My AC gave out before I could test it after my new head gasket and radiator installed, so I can't tell how it'll work out.

11. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    ohhhhhhhhhhhh! thanks man where exacly is that valve?