ugg! brake problems

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Afterbang, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Afterbang

Afterbang Newbie

Truck:
    87 4runner
    So, for the last week my brake pedal has lost some movement. It only moves about half an inch. It still stops the truck but more pressure is required and out pulls to the left if i take my hand off the wheel.
    Pads aril have about half life, vacuum line is still connected to the booster.
    My first thought was that my right caliper was frozen, pulled the caliper and out seems to be moving fine. Could it be the booster?
    A few weeks ago, i had a different issue, when i stepped on the pedal it would move a bit then stop, a little more pressure and it would move more, but clicked, like it was binding. I looked at everything, all looked good. After a couple days of this, i backed up and down my driveway, whatever was going on stopped after a bit of backing up.
    I'm kinda at a loss, maybe my back brakes? My driveway is kinda steep and has quite a turn top get into the garage, making it a pita to back into the garage.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    If I remember correctly, to check the booster,start the engine,apply the brake & shut the engine off while holding the pedal down, if goes to the floor the booster isn't holding vacuum & is bad!

Also look under the truck & under the dash to see if the master cylinder is leaking!!

And of coarse check the wheel cylinders also !!:cool:

3. Afterbang

Afterbang Newbie

Truck:
    87 4runner
    Thanks for the reply. I pulled my calipers off Monday, they are both working properly. Last night i pulled my drums off, no movement. Well, wheel cylinders are probably original, but not the problem. After i saw they were not moving i cracked the bleeder. Nothing. I cracked the lines, just a tiny bit to see if fluid would leak, nothing. So i pulled the lines all the way out, not even a drip. Cracked the bleeder on the lspv. Fluid! So i had the hard pedal thing on my way to work. I moved the rod connected to the axle, got in the truck to leave and now out goes almost to the floor. Got home, got some help and bled the brakes the right way, now there was fluid at the wheel cylinders, brakes bled fine. Lspv, driver rear, pass. rear, Pass. Front, driver front. I'm stumped. The brakes seem to do the same amount if work also.
    Hows that for a run on sentence?