Two questions...

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by farmorejustin, Mar 31, 2011.

1. farmorejustin

farmorejustin Member

Truck:
    78 long bed
    1. I'm wiring in the factory pump instead of an aftermarket one the previous owner put in...It won't turn on when ignition is on and oil pressure switch unplugged, but I don't know if its the relay or resistor. i can't find the fuel pump resistor under the cluster. Haynes says its between the ignition switch and the relay, but maybe I'm blind...I just can't find it. HELP.

2. I found a emission computer under the steering wheel close to the firewall. What's it for? It's never been mentioned in my books except in '75-76 trucks.

2. rink45

rink45 Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 shortbed
    if your relays working right, you should hear a click sound when you turn the ignition on. your fusible resistor should be right next to your battery and its plugged into your wiring harness. make sure the pump is grounded very well and to your frame. its almost always a grounding problem. how do you have it set up to test?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. farmorejustin

farmorejustin Member

Truck:
    78 long bed
    Well I would test it by unplugging the oil switch, turn ignition to on and have the fuel line run into a cup, but nothing would come out. I do here a click though when I turn to "ON". I'm out of town, but I suppose I could have turned it to start and see it would pump then.

My bed's grounding strap broken though, I have to put in a new one, but tailights, fuel gauge...they work.

I just don't know what type of resistor it is and what to replace it with.

By the battery you say? If you have time, maybe take a pic? I'll check it out

Thanks!

4. randy20r

randy20r Member

Truck:
    1976 toyota pickup
    your tail lights are grounded through your wireing harness to the rear of the truck rink45 is rite they have bad ground problems allways